Can You Ask American To Open Award Space?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Oct 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    Yesterday I wrote a post entitled "How Stingy Is American With First Class Award Space?" I was trying to get from London to New York, and American had two flights without a single seat sold in first class, yet they didn't have any saver level award availability. There has been a trend over the past several years whereby American is releasing less and less award space, and t0 me this is the epitome of the situation. Those seats would literally otherwise go empty, which they'd apparently prefer to getting mileage liability off the books, and more importantly, making a frequent flyer happy. It's amazing how quickly the airlines forget why they're in business. In this case, specifically, American wouldn't be in business if it weren't for Citi (they pre-purchased a billion dollars worth of miles from American when they were in bankruptcy and and on the verge of going out of business). Anyway, as an experiment I thought it would be fun to see if I could get anyone at American to actually apply logic to the situation and open up some award space. Gary has written in the past about the ability to request American award space under certain situations when it's not otherwise possible. The circumstances under which you can normally make the request for AAdvantage award space are: The post Can You Ask American To Open Award Space? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...