Can we use SWU on mixed metal yet?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by AZjohn, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone,

As noted and tested out personaly, I know we can move our SWU's or CR1's between UA and CO.

But I just found out through EF that in March 2012 there are flights with confirmed UG space for my wife and I between OGG and LHR. The issue (and fear of the unknown) is as follows:

OGG-LAX on UA metal (NF available)
    LAX-EWR on CO metal (R available)
    EWR-LHR on CO metal (R available)

Is there a way to book this (either with UA or CO) and use SWU's for all the flights (I mean using just 1 SWU for all 3 flights)? My gut feel is the answer is NO (or at lease not yet) but wanted to ask anyways.

Thanks,
    John

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply Wandering Aramean. If anyone should know it would be you ;).
    Though I can't find the exact wording in that web site (I have read it many times the past month) I will call the 1K desk after I contact a friend who has some late exp SWU's he can loan me.
    Thanks again,
    John

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read the fourth column of the first table on that page. The heading is "When upgrading both United and Continental on the same itinerary" and it says you have to call.

AZjohn likes this.
  5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must be blind:confused:..... See it perfect now;)
    Thanks again!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note that on the phone, they can not put you on the waitlist for flights on a mixed itinerary.

AZjohn likes this.
  7. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know;)
    Found NC/R availability across the board but now having a hard time finding previous trade friends that have March 2012 SWU's

So, anyone here would be interested in spoting me a couple SWU's until I get mine at end of year (or take 4 CR1's now with 9/12 exp), and willing to make a call to the 1K desk as this is the only way to UG mixed metal?:)

And, as a side note I found out that though there is NC/R availability, you can not use miles/$ to lock up the UG space. Kind of strange you can use SWU's on mixed metal but not miles/$????

Thanks,
    John

8. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a follow up to this thread.

Found someone willing to sponsor and call the 1K desk to UG this mixed metal PNR. It took him over an hour on the phone with the web support/intigration team to get this done:eek:

The good news, it can be done BUT right now it looks like it's not a real easy thing for them to do.
    Just a heads up;)

John