Can we please have some logic in the list of included airports?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by MSPeconomist, Mar 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently I tried to contribute some content about several airports that I know well and, despite them being major airports by most definitions as well as SkyTeam hubs, there were no fora listings to be found for three important examples: AMS, CDG, and DTW.

DTW is the second hub for DL as well as a major international gateway. The same was true for PMNW so this isn't a new development.

CDG is the international airport Paris. Enough said, no? It's the hub and HQ for AF, which offers flights to almost every continent. (AFAIK there is no scheduled service to Antarctica.)

AMS is similarly the hub and HQ for KLM, which offers a long list of short-, medium-, and long-haul nonstops.

Yet instead of these airports, MP lists AUS/SAT, DUB, and regional Scottish airports. Doesn't anyone at MP like SkyTeam? (OTOH, I think I know the answer to that question and on some days I agree.)

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually there is plenty of logic for what we have.
    1) It's not a matter of anyone at milepoint liking or disliking any specific airport. In the originasl post that kicked off the test of the Local Point forum, we ask members themselves to submit airports areas and the list you see is exactly what was submitted during the short Beta test period. As noted, it was never intended to be complete nor a compendium off the largest or most popular or hub-worthy, rather just a mixture of what members first submitted so we could take a look at its adoption as a test concept and as well, look for consistent best practices that might be suggested or put in place if the test concept proved to be valuable to members:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...start-test-airport-area-thread.655/#post-3285
    2) In this post, we noted that during the first month of milepoint—March 1 to around April 1—we were not adding any additional airports:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...st-airport-area-thread.655/page-3#post-279563

We've seen some outstanding new efforts such as this one:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/guide-to-manila-international-airport-mnl.6536/

and again are just taking the first month to measure progress toward what we were thinking of when creating this concept and as well to observe how members use the forum as compared to perhaps not having the forum and pushing things to the various destination travel forums. We've tried to post the relevant information for this test and look forward to announcing whatever direction and decision will be made in the near future. If it is worth doing, it will be worth doing right so thanks for your patience during the test period.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem, it's just that as April 1 is approaching very soon, I wanted this to be on someone's radar as a potential change since the airport list seems a bit idiosyncratic to me. I guess I should have added the right smilie after my SkyTeam remark--it was not meant seriously.

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    it is certainly on our radar and i've been sad that i could not add in the Manila Airport effort as it is a great start. But when we say we would not add in new airports during the trial period, it is best to not start making exceptions. It's only a one-month period, we're trying to build for many years from now so the extra time to make sure we are doing the right thing seems a good approach. And as for the list ... what can i say about your fellow members of milepoint—the ones who actually built the current list? HA!

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In their defense, I suspect that the DL crowd who came to the West Coast events were either primarily domestic travellers or came from Delta-South, so they might have thought that ATL is the center of the universe.;)