Suggestion Can we have an option to disable FB integration?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Wandering Aramean, Aug 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that I would have to actively choose to associate my personal FB account it I want that functionality; that's not what I'm looking for. I actually want the ability to disable the FB plugin on the pages, the one at the bottom that says who likes a thread or something like that.

I certainly understand why it is there and the value it offers but there are also situations (like for me right now) where lower bandwidth or higher latency connections struggle with the FB nugget loads. It kills the performance of the whole site.

Thoughts?

Scottrick likes this.
  2. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    LauraPDX, tommy777 and Randy Petersen like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think WA's point is that if other people are using FB, then it slows down the experience for everyone.

I could care less what other people use, but personally I don't like to log-in with FB. I don't want FB to be able to follow everything I do, and I really don't like using their site, period. It annoys me when certain sites, like TravelSort, require FB to read the articles.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope...it was much more like what Oliver was suggesting. But I don't actually have ad blocker installed on this computer (or on most of mine these days). And I was thinking it would be better if the site was actually usefully functional rather than my having to hack it together to make it usable.

Based on the boss liking Oliver's post but not responding otherwise I'm assuming my request is not going to be honored, but it sure would be nice to hear an actual response rather than having to guess.

estnet likes this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree on not having to hack to get rid of a feature I don't want.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    To some degree, giving users the option of customizing the experience is nice. But from an operator perspective, it could also quickly become a support nightmare if they go overboard. An example of customizability I like, for example, is that I can turn off the signatures so I don't have to download all those images that people seem to cram in there. That improves performance and readability and I'd see the FB request above in the same category.

That said... looking at this thread, under "Share This Page" I just see one link "Tweet" that links to Twitter, but no FB like or share feature. I could swear it was there in the past... has it been disabled?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is the gist of my thinking as well.

I still see it.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, it took me a moment, but then I realized that https://disconnect.me saved me from it.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most BBS need the adblock workaround to be somewhat bearable... I hate searching for content between ads and get headaches from looking at billboards. MP has about ten lines like the one above in my custom list. The result is ultrapremium access: take a look http://awesomescreenshot.com/06ed17i8c

No sane operator would remove all the links and embedded googleadsyndication stuff voluntarily, too much at stake.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With the MP gold status I don't get the regular google ads and the other bits aren't so bad. I don't really notice the FB stuff most of the time either, but on a mobile browser or low bandwidth connection the user experience pretty much sucks for me. I was just offering up a suggestion which I think would make things better as an option to offer. I certainly can understand why MP would choose to not make that available, but I'd also like to hear them state their intentions on this rather than us making excuses for them.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or us interpret 'like's :p

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Any feedback from the admin team??

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... I actually like having the avatars because it helps me identify posters without having to read the names.