Can we earn free nights if booked thro' non-spg sites?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by kayjay, May 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I complete 3 paid stays booked through SPG.com, I earn one free night and I am recognised for being Platinum member.

If I book through kayak, orbitz, hotel.com, priceline bidding etc., will I still earn 1 free night after 3 stays and will my Platinum status be recognized? How does it work?
    Or it doesn't matter at all, that I still earn star amenity points + SPG platinum recognized.

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    According to the SPG website:

"In addition, certain types of room rates are not eligible for Starpoints credit. These include groups or conventions settled through a Master Bill, airline crew room charges, tours or pre-packaged deals through travel agents, wholesale rates, and rates from third-party bookings such as, but not limited to, priceline.com, expedia.com, etc"

So the short answer is no you will not get stay credits or points for stays booked via a third party site. As for your Platinum status, it may or may not be recognized. Since Priceline etc normally do not have a place to input your SPG number, you will need to call the hotel and have them input the number.

3. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few people on HotelDealsRevealed.com have reported getting credits or points for Priceline purchases, but I believe these are errors or the front desk clerk crediting them when they shouldn't have. Typically you don't earn points.

4. Astrophy
    Original Member

Astrophy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anytime one is upgraded for being a Plat on a Priceline or 3rd party booking.. it is only by error.

SC Flier likes this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    If strictly following the SPG T&Cs, that is true.
    4B.10. Gold Preferred Guests are not eligible for any in-hotel benefits when booking pre-paid or other third party rates through third party channels, such as, but not limited to, the channels listed in the definition of Eligible Rate; however Gold Members will earn Starpoints on Eligible Charges made during the stay. Since these third party rates do not meet the definition of an Eligible Rate, no Starpoints will be earned on them and those nights to not count as Eligible Nights when calculating the Gold Minimum Requirement.​

However, a hotel can choose to extend in-hotel benefits beyond the requirements of the SPG T&Cs.

As for the OP's main question, though, the hotel does not have the authority to issue SPG stay/night credits for an ineligible stay. And those stay/night credits are necessary for earning the Free Resort Nights during this quarterly promo.