Can we consider having links in posts open in new windows (or tabs)?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Counsellor, Feb 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I recall correctly, links in posts on FT opened in a new window, so you could take a "side trip" to visit the linked site and come back to where you were, or continue with what you were doing and visit the linked site when convenient.

It seems as though on this site, if you click a link in a post it automatically takes you from where you are to the linked site. If you close the linked site, you do not return to where you came from; rather you must go "back" if you want to go to the original page or start all over.

To me it's much more convenient (and user-friendly) to have the link open in a new window or new tab. Could we consider trying that for a while, please?

flospi, Primula, goalie and 2 others like this.
  2. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was JUST about to post this but figured I'd run a search first :)

This is especially important because some threads are very heavily based on links (to people's photo collections or whatnot). I'd like to be able to keep a thread I'm trying to read separate from the "illustrations."

3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right click and choose open in new window or tab or whatever.
    I have no prob with that; works for most sites. It might be
    good to have the choice as a settings option, though.

4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are also extensions for Firefox and Internet Exploder that handle this for you, requiring no code changes to the site. :star:

5. flunky
    Original Member

flunky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think by default a link should open in a new window or tab. Usually I middle click all links in Firefox so they open in a new tab. It is annoying to me if I forget this & they open on the page I'm viewing.

6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, again, there are extensions and tools available for your preferred browser that accomplish this for you. There is a difference between internal and external links and coding a target reference into only external links can become quite cumbersome, especially if the link is not CMS-driven. You can customize your browsing experience as it pertains to your particular browser without any changes to Milepoint (or any other site on the Internet, for that matter). Here's one of my favorites for tab handling in Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus/

7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. While one can always right click for a new window, this feature would be nice (and besides, I'm lazy [​IMG])

8. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the meantime, most browsers also let you do this if you ctrl+click for a new tab or shift+click for a new window

flospi likes this.
  9. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely concur. I should n[​IMG]t have to install a plugin or remember to do something special when selecting a link. I want to be able to go to the other activity and later easily come back to where I started.

10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this may already be done? At least for me, links are now opening in a new window (well, tab). (Firefox 3.6.8 on Windows 7)

11. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can it be that it depends on the browser?

In my Mozilla, links always open in a new window since I joined a couple of days ago.

asmithLHR likes this.
  12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just tested IE8 -- I get a new tab there, too.

asmithLHR likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I click using Chrome, it does not open a new window, although this did happen on FT. In fact, on FT I always liked this feature, as I could click on something when I saw a reference but then postpone reading it until I finished the current thread or had time (or was in the mood for certain content).

PLEASE make it automatic that when I click on anything here, it is always opened in a new window.

14. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I set my browser to open in a new tab when I middle click.
    I don't like using new windows to browse, and I suspect other are as well.
    I say make it customizable in such a way that browser settings can handle the particular preferences of anybody