Can United transfer to Aadvantage or CapitalOne points?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by cool_spice, Mar 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cool_spice

cool_spice Member

Status Points:
    Hello-
    I am new to this site, but a veteran travel hacker. I'm a lifetime million miler with Aadvantage, but my company recently sent me to Asia on United. So now I have 9500 orphan United miles set to expire in May 2014. All I can glean from their site is redemptions for crappy Restaurant.com or FTD.com gift certs. I have been warned away from Points.com to trade. Any idea how to trade my 9500 United for Aadvantage miles or CapitalOne points?

thanks all :)

Espan likes this.
  2. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend making a very small purchase on United's shopping site. Something as small as a song on iTunes or a magazine subscription will buy you another 18 months of account life. Just make sure you log into United's shopping portal and click through it to get to the merchant before making the purchase to insure that you get the credit, and do it fast. It can take a while for those purchases to show up.

You may have to do it again 18 months later, but then again, your company may send you somewhere on United again one day, or you may want to go somewhere that they are the only/best choice to get you there. Eventually, you could have your 25,000 miles, good for one domestic RT ticket, which you could either use for yourself or give to a friend or relative in need.

3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are 500 point short of a one way redemption on a short haul route. Not sure where you are from but it can be combined well with an Avios redemption in the opposite direction on one of the myriad of routes both carriers fly. Can also be used to fill in an open jaw within the Continental US. Just use one of the suggestions from Kenin to add those 500 miles and keep the account active.

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have any Chase UR points and one of the premium cards (e.g. Sapphire Preferred, not just Freedom), you could do a minimum transfer into UA. You even have time to apply for one of those. Remember that UA offers one-way awards, and you're only 3k miles from a full-length domestic one-way.

Espan likes this.
  5. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll piggyback w/ a related question, so my young son has about 5000 UA points set to expire. Transferring them to my account seemed not very worthwhile. So, if I throw some of my UR points in to his UA account it'll reset his clock? Can I do this?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

Espan and traveltoomuch like this.
  7. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also suggest topping your account up to 10,000 points so that you can redeem for a short-haul flight ticket. I think that you will get more value out of that flight than trying to find ways to transfer your points out.

8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does BA have an Itunes shopping option? My points(110,000) expire in Novemeber and I'd like a cheap $1.00(Itunes) options to extended the points.

9. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the OP book, than cancel within 24 hrs, an intra Hawaii flight. will reset your clock 18 months from now.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. hwang21

hwang21 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello! I'm a mileage plus member, just come here to say Hi!

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good call. I forgot that the intra-HI flights are cheap enough for that to work.

boondr likes this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I honestly know nothing aabout BA, but all the USA airlines I'm familiar with have them ,a nd most of the Latin American ones, too.

It shouldn't bee hard to find on their web site under their "earn" tab, or whatever they may call it. Surely it will be something similar to that, and it's an effortless source of revenue for the airlines that really benefits the merchants (like me!), so my bet is that they've got it.

Good luck,, and please report back what you find. While it doesn't matter to me, I'm sure that others her would be interested to have confirmation. ~ Thanks!

euromannn likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    euromannn likes this.