Can this be done?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by traveltsar, Oct 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning to make frequent trips to CKY starting in 2012. Unfortunately, AA nor its affiliates fly there. I was wondering if the following were possible.

Fly from JFK to CKY on Royal Air Moroc which is an affiliate of Iberia. Iberia is an affiliate with AA. Can I create an account with Royal Air Moroc and Iberia then transfer transfer the miles from Royal Air to Iberia and finally to AA?

savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think you can typically move miles between programs...

Could you fly to Europe (LHR, MAD, CDG, BRU, etc.) to one of the cities that serves CKY on AA/BA/IB and then on to CKY on a different carrier? That would give you most of your miles on a OW carrier. Maybe you could do a status match with one of the EU-CKY carriers (e.g DL for AF flights or a *A partner for their carriers)?

One thing to keep in mind when choosing another FF program...fare buckets affect mileage earned, especially on discount fares. Fortunately, many of the US carriers give 100%, but it is always important to check. For example, Flying Blue (AF/KL) may not give me 100% miles on a cheap fare whereas DL will do so.

However, be cautious with IB flights as some of their fare buckets do not earn 100% EQM on AA.

Good luck!

3. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once again, the swift response is greatly appreciated. However, I need someone to take me under there tutelage. I'm not quite sure what *A is. I've seen the code used a bit on this forum. Also, I've been meaning to ask about FD'ing. When I first logged on I saw a thread about it and I can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction?

savydog, jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    *A = the Star Alliance. :) The group of carriers including United/Continental, US Airways, Lufthansa, etc. It looks like several *A carriers serve CKY.

From what I was saying above, if you joing a *A (e.g. UA, US) carrier or a SkyTeam (e.g DL) member carrier, you could accrue miles in your account to get to CKY. This could be done all the way from the US or by flying a oneworld carrier to a city where you can connect to a *A or ST carrier.

Not sure about FD'ing.

:)robin

savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe the thread you want on FDing is here: LINK.

As for CKY, it's probably easiest to just go with *A or ST (SkyTeam) on this. It's pretty much Air France (AF) or Brussels Airlines (SN), and between the two alliances I think *A has the better FF program and use for miles. If you decide to use *A or ST though, I'd still recommend collecting miles on their US partners so you can start collecting your domestic flights, too.

AA and it's OW partners are pretty weak in terms of coverage in Africa. It's one of the things that frustrates me most about the program. It's pretty much just BA holding down the fort, and with their YQ you end up paying $1000 for your free ticket.

Long story short: Your plan won't work.

jbcarioca, traveltsar and rwoman like this.
  6. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another option if earning in oneworld is of importance to you would be to take a short hope from CKY to an airport in Africa that does have oneworld service. DKR and CMN are both served by IB, so from either of those you could get on to MAD, and thence to JFK or several other North American gateways. It's not the most direct of routes, but is an alternative worth considering.

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Those are some pretty sketchy airlines to fly into DKR on.... :eek:

Could always do AT to CMN and connect to IB, that's the safest bet. Otherwise you're on Benin Golf Air, Senegal Airlines, or Eagle Air. Honestly though that seems like a lot of hassle and potentially a disaster if you misconnect. You really want to be on two itineraries and miss a flight with Benin Golf Air? :D

rwoman, jbcarioca and Microwave like this.
  8. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not saying it's a good idea... Just an option. :)

I mean, hey, most of those airlines often don't have many problems hardly ever! ;)

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So the real question to the OP is, how badly do you want those AA miles? Worth a flight on Duct Tape Air? :)

10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best connections to CKY from the US are SkyTeam, with Air France being the easiest by far. If you could live with DL SkyMiles or AF FlyingBlue you'd find it all much, much easier. As several people have said it is difficult on OW. If you'll fly very regularly you can always fly JFK-CDG on OW and then connect to AF there. You may end out with plenty of status and miles on both if you're making these flights often enough.

11. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    What you are suggesting won't work. If Iberia codeshares on this route, you can book the IB codeshare and put in your AAdvantage number. I think you would get AA miles same as if on IB metal.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I checked earlier and can't find any IB codeshares on CKY flights. Also AA earning on discount IB flights that aren't TATL earn 30%, so that's still a bit of a bummer even if IB did have the codeshare.

rwoman likes this.
  13. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't the OP earn the miles on an airline that allows transfer of miles to SPG for points, then transfer the points to AA? It's a bit o' work, and there are minimums for the transfers, but is it an option?

(Upon review of the SPG site, the only option would be to earn DL miles on the AF flight into CKY and then make the transfer; if DL/AF isn't an option this might be an idea for another program that bridges one of the other airlines to AA.)

rwoman likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I can't think of a path off the top of my head for a *A/ST account that would transfer easily into SPG points, but I'm willing to bet you'd lose tons of mileage, and after that, what's the point? :(

rwoman and zpaul like this.
  15. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's moot, anyway, as there is only the option to transfer points FROM Starwood TO an airline, not the reverse. The transfer to AA wouldn't be bad as SPG gives a 5000 point bonus for every 20000 points transferred (at 1:1).

rwoman likes this.
  16. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could do CKY-(AT)-CMN-(IB)-MAD-(IB or AA)-JFK. The short flight from CMN to MAD would only earn 160 or so miles out of the 539 or so flown, but the TATL portion would earn full miles when flown on either airline. However, as mentioned above, another alliance would probably be best if this CKY is going to be the primary destination.

rwoman likes this.
  17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We've now come full circle to the original routing the two of us talked about earlier, and it still isn't a very good option. I agree, another alliance would be best. :confused:

rwoman and Microwave like this.
  18. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't find any either, but then I've never looked for them before and didn't know if I was missing something.

DestinationDavid likes this.