Can someone price with miles on my behalf? Haven't funded acct yet...

Discussion in 'ANA | Mileage Club' started by potat5656, May 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. potat5656

potat5656 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello MilePoint Members!

I am looking to fly United SFO-->COS (Colorado Springs, CO) Depart July 3rd 7:15pm, return July 7th COS-->SFO any direct flight. Can you please let me know the points required to do this through ANA? They will not let me know unless I fund my account.

I have MR AMEX points I'd like to transfer to United, but have to use a partner. ANA seems to be efficient at transfering points for this flight. Please let me know if you are aware of a more effective way. Thank you, Christian

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't actually need miles to search on *A partners. There are two ways around that "block."

1) Click the link for ANA International Flight Awards. Do a search for GMP-HND (or any other route ANA serves, but that's the one I always seem to use for no particular reason). At the bottom of the results page click the link for Use Star Alliance and you can then do the search you actually want.

2) If you have a browser which supports GreaseMonkey scripts you can install the script I wrote. It just puts the button back on display on the front page. The script can be downloaded here: http://blog.wandr.me/2012/08/reintroducing-the-ana-partner-search-link/.

Because ANA is a distance-based award chart odds are that you'll be in the 0-2000 miles category traveled so only 20,000 miles for the trip. But you need to find the inventory before you make the transfer. If you connect in IAH or ORD your total mileage will likely be in the 2001-4000 bucket making the award 22000 points in Y.

All that said, there is no award inventory for the return flight. The outbound is (surprisingly to me) available but the return is not.

3. potat5656

potat5656 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks WanderingAramean. What a headache..I suppose I could book outbound thru ANA, then use remaining 50k united miles for the flight.

What are amex MR points effificent at transfering to? In SFO interested in HI,Mexico, Canada...

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can get Alaska Airlines metal non-stop from the SFO area to Hawaii those seats would be cheap redeeming MR points to Avios. Adding connections in make those trips a bit more expensive but not completely unreasonable.

5. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do use ANA for the outbound, rather than spending the required 20K consider still booking a 22K award assuming you are able to find availability & book another flight that you were planning to fly w/i the year anyway. iirc, ANA has generous stopover rules.

That way you can get additional, albeit unrelated flight(s) for only 2K extra points.

FYI, AMEX transfers to ANA take @3 or so days to hit.

Sadly ANA doesn't let you hold awards so there's always the risk the space you see now will be gone by the time the transfer is completed.