can/should I book WN flights on consecutive dates...just in case

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by fcgoal, Sep 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. fcgoal

fcgoal Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a plan that sounds good to me, but want to put it out there for the experts to error check for me...
    My family of four are returning from DUB to BOS around Christmas, but our ultimate destination is Chicago. I need to book our flights from BOS-MDW. We get to BOS around 17:30, and would like to just get home that night rather than spending a night and flying the next leg the next day. I'm looking at booking a flight on Southwest (WN) at 19:05. That's a 90 minute connection. I'm using points, and have enough to book that flight and one the next day. I was thinking I would do that so that if the original DUB-BOS flight is late, I can cancel the flight for the same day and just use the one for the next day. Likewise, if all goes well, I cancel the flight for the next day and get my points back. So, the questions are:
    1) Is it reasonable to expect that 3 americans and a green card holder can get through immigration in Boston and onto our domestic flight with 90 minutes to connect?
    2) If yes, then is it reasonable to book a second flight just in case something happens and we can't make the one the first day?
    3) Anything else I should be considering?
    Thanks!

2. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've booked multiple dates on points but it was successive weekends, and I was going to make the decision much more ahead of time than you plan to. I would look into the new SW no show rules. If your flight into Boston is more than 90 mins late and you can't cancel the SW flight before it leaves you can't get the points back I believe. If it looks like you're going to be that late though you'll prob know before you leave Dublin and might be able to cancel from there (if you have Internet access at the airport there). Seems a little risky to me with only a 90 min layover, but I'm not familiar with BOS.

I can't help you on the time it'll take to get through customs though. Hopefully someone else can help you out on that.

3. nsx
    Original Member

nsx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can do this, but you really shouldn't. Too much of that will prompt yet another crackdown which hurts travelers who made innocent mistakes.

Currently points bookings are not subject to no-show rules. That's likely to change if the loophole is exploited.

Mikus33 likes this.
  4. fcgoal

fcgoal Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't planning on being a no-show, but yes, I would be canceling at the last minute. That being said, though, the flexibility is the reason I am booking with Southwest.
    I did find that Southwest leaves from terminal E, same as our DUB arrival terminal. That helps.