Can not check-in online with Delta

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Travel Today, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel Today

Travel Today Active Member

Status Points:
    I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything. I'm trying to check-in online via the website and the email check-in link. (I'm returning to ATL from a few days in CUN. I had no problems on the way down.)

I receive a message about not being able to do it.

The email response from Delta appears pretty general:

We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced in regards to online
    check in.

There are some restrictions that may not let you check-in online. Common
    examples of these may include:

- Schedule changes (voluntary or involuntary)
    - Upgraded itineraries (which have not been reissued)
    - Certain international itineraries
    - Credit card presentation required
    - Special Service Requests in the reservation

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I have experienced it, this has occurred on my initial segment of an itinerary, either domestic or outbound international. Sometimes the problem has been the need to show an agent my passport and visa (although normally this needs to be done for international and can be handled either at the gate or in the club).

However, other times it has indicated big trouble. I think it's wise to get whatever issue resolved before going to the airport as sometimes when a ticket reissue is involved, this can require about an hour which then risks your either missing the flight or not getting the upgrade which you earned.

Schedule changes should show when you inspect your itinerary on delta.dumb. If they're cleared and accepted, they should be shaded green with check marks; light yellow boxes might be problems. Be sure that your reservation and receipt match in every detail, such as flight numbers and fare classes. Look for illegal connections and check flight status for possible misconnection problems.

Normal special service requests (such as a vegetarian meal) shouldn't affect your ability to do OLCI, although things like unaccompanied minor obviously require seeing an agent at the airport.

If at all possible, you should call DL today and ask them to do what is necessary (i.e., manual ticket reissue while you wait on hold) to enable OLCI. Ask that they look at your ticket, PNR, and complete history in the record carefully. Request a supervisor if necessary. Instead of talking with an elite agent or whatever, it might help to ask to be passed through to (IT) tech support when no one seems to know what to do to help.

travelinmike33 likes this.
  3. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    It used to be that if you couldn't OLCI, that meant you were tagged by the TSA computers for special screening (i.e. additional pat downs and a slightly more thorough examination of your luggage).

I do not know if this is still the case though, as I have been able to OLCI for everything with no major issues for at least a couple years now.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That can be one reason, but I've also heard of SSSS printing on the boarding pass at OLCI.

5. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think its quite likely you're getting the TSA special screening...

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't it seem stupid to warn people of the special screening the day before? Not that this should surprise me with TSA.

7. Travel Today

Travel Today Active Member

Status Points:
    Update: I didn't have a phone to ring Delta so I also sent a message to Delta via Facebook. (I was able to check-in my minor so I thought it wasn't a major issue.) I received an email response from Delta 10 hours later indicating, "Our records shows I.D. verification required." At the airport - agent confirmed they needed to verify my ID - showed my passport, he put on the upgrade list and was on my way within minutes.

Another data point: Thanks to information posted here on Milepoint, received silver from the recent AMEX membership reward transfer promo, upgraded from coach to & from CUN. Small aircraft but extra room was nice and a smile when my glass was refilled.