Can my I switch my biz class seat w/ my dad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Bhsu21, Jun 10, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are flying back home on Cathay from TPE-HKG-JFK in business class we booked with points.

We bought my dad a seat in economy on the same exact itinerary to go back with us.

My dad has never sat in business class, and would love for him to try, so could I switch my seat with him? Will they allow this?

If so, then when is the best time to switch? Have him board using my boarding pass or go to our own seats and then let the flight attendant know we will be switching? Or another way.

satman40, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they check ID when boarding? If not why not just switch after security... so he gets the full experience.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    For intl flights IDs are generally checked when boarding. Why not switch seats after boarding?

4. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    They might check your passport at boarding. You could just swap boarding passes in the jetway so he can have the experience of "turning left" and a pre-departure beverage and all that. My question is if you have guest privileges so you can get your dad into the lounge prior to boarding.

Also, you're a great son offering to sit in the back for a long leg like HKG-JFK!

dildooba44 and traveltoomuch like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    The best bet is switching in the jetbridge. That way everyone has the right boarding pass if IDs are checked, and busybody flight attendants don't get crabby at you. It will generally work to switch on board, too, but in the jetbridge is safer - you might encounter a flight attendant who cares.

skit53 and Counsellor like this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not incurred any problems when switching seats between 1st / biz and self loading cargo. The usual swap is between family members and myself as a result of there being only one biz seat or an upgrade. I have also swapped out with returning military. The FA’s in all cases were only concerned (if at all) that it was a knowing exchange.

Counsellor and Newscience like this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may be true on Cathay, but some carriers are real {ahem} "jerks" about the whole thing. KLM, in particular, seems really anal. Even got grief one time on KLM for letting my companion have my window seat and sitting in her aisle seat (side-by-side seats!).

8. Gabbai

Gabbai Active Member

Status Points:
    The one time they are usually unctuous is when a special meal has been ordered and they have to deliver it to another passenger. They are even more uptight about it when this is across classes. In fact with BA your chances of a last minute upgrade are virtually nil if you have a special meal ordered as they say they cannot provide you with a meal appropriate to the upgraded class of service at the last minute. And it doesn't help telling them you don't care!

9. dogmatixx

dogmatixx Active Member

Status Points:
    On several occasions I've travelled in business class and at some point I've switched off mid-flight with my wife or son, even switching seats multiple times, and the flight attendants have never objected. The key thing is that if you're in business class, you should head back to economy then send them up front. They don't like people from economy coming into business class for a visit, unless they have a seat. This was on United.

But your case is even easier: If you just want to give him your seat for the entire flight, then just give him your boarding pass and have him sit there. Nobody will know or care.

10. JAX DELTA FLYER

JAX DELTA FLYER Active Member

Status Points:
    This is an absolute no brainer! The part that everyone seems to be missing here is that you want to make sure you hand your dad your wife's business class boarding pass and send your wife to the coach seat. Your wife might understand...Good luck when you arrive at JFK :)

anileze likes this.
  11. ATCK

ATCK Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm retired, but for a long time I was a frequent business flyer with elite status. When my wife and I traveled together, I usually got upgraded. On some airlines, I could use my mileage status to also upgrade my wife, but on others I couldn't. When we boarded, I told the FA's that we were trading seats. She sat in my business/first seat, I sat in her coach seat. It was never a problem.

On one flight, a FA came to me in coach right after they closed the doors, told me that there was one first class seat open, and said that since I had given my first class seat to my wife I should take the open first class seat instead of sitting in coach. We didn't sit together, but we both ended up in first class.

anileze likes this.
  12. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If memory serves the CX F/J FAs have a manifest with passenger names on it; they will often address you by name during the in-flight service rounds. I would advise the FAs of your plan when boarding in order to prevent confusion or potential embarrassment later.

13. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I often swap seats on United, particularly when she gets an upgrade and I don't. She's rather short and doesn't enjoy the plane fodder anyway, so it doesn't matter to her where she sits -- to some extent. Obviously when the gender of the swapper and swapee are different a simple boarding pass switch doesn't work. All we have had to do is to mention to the F/A in Business or First that we have swapped. End of story!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  14. puchski1

puchski1 Active Member

Status Points:
    I get upgraded all the time on AS. When traveling with my wife, I let her sit up front and tell the first class FA. The reaction is always the same: "how sweet" This usually results in free drinks in the back and once an offer to sit in an empty first class seat. Most FA's will think of swapping a seat with your dad as an act of ultimate selflessness that instantly sets you apart from the rest of the grumpy travelers.You might just see better service in the back because of it.

anileze and Counsellor like this.
  15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a no-brainer. I have done swapped my upgraded B, with another person's coach. The drill was that as we boarded, moi with front-of-the-bus-seat, I informed the OBL (On board leader) about my intent. He/She, always nodded in affirmative.

FAs know that its bad for their brownie points to say NO.