Can miles from deceased spouse account be transferred to surviving spouse.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by napili, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Title sets for the question I have. Is there a time limit to asking for the transfer , if possible . Who / How would one contact, simply call Advantage desk.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

I believe you need to contact AA's Customer Service and request that they make the change. From what I've read previously, AA will send you an affidavit to sign noting that you are the executor of the deceased's estate. You'll also need to provide a copy of the death certificate. Last I heard there was a $50 administrative fee for the transfer.

As for a time limit, I haven't heard of one. I'd assume the regular expiration of miles with inactivity is used in these situations.

On a personal note, I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just went through this for my boss and his wife. I was told to send a signed letter from the executor, copy of certified death certificate, and account numbers transferring from and to.

Chimpy likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For anyone interested, the applicable section of AAdvantage's terms and conditions, bolding added by me:

"Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors and assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. Mileage credit is transferable between AAdvantage accounts when offered by AA online, with the shareAAmilesSM program. The member must adhere to the rules and limitations of the shareAAmiles program."

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the shareAAmiles program? Is this the program where you can transfer mile to a friend and have to pay a large fee?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's just the administrative fee.

I think we have some confusion and I'm just now realizing it; when you originally asked about the shareAAmiles program I thought it was out of general curiosity. Now I realize you might have been under the impression that the shareAAmiles option was *how* the miles were moved in cases of a deceased spouse? If so, that's not the case.

The section of the AAdvantage terms and conditions referenced above is taken from a larger section detailing the transfer/sharing/movement of AA miles. It denotes how the movement of miles between accounts can be done under normal circumstances and the section highlighted lists *exceptions* - the passing of a spouse or a court order issued through divorce proceedings.

The transfer of miles in these situations bypass the rules outlined in shareAAmiles. It's all moved in one lump sum and no additional payment besides the administrative fee is charged.

As outlined in the quoted section, all movement of miles between accounts *not* prompted by the executor of an estate or via divorce proceedings are bound to the rules of shareAAmiles. Hopefully that's more clear. :)

Original Member and JohnDeere19 like this.
  9. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry for your loss.

For those reading this thread and anticipating a possible future need to do this, as my wife or I will probably have at some point, it's been suggested elsewhere that the simplest thing to do is to have the deceased's password (which may require advance planning) and use miles from that account for awards as the occasion arises. When its balance becomes too small for that, you can forget about the rest, use ShareAAmiles to move them, get magazines, or donate them to an AA charity.

Lyssa likes this.
  10. Thank every one for the information. I have actually done the last suggestion. The remaining miles are not a lot but at a $50.00 charge will probably do that.