Can I Visit a KLM Lounge as a Gold Medallion, without proof of status?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Mike1625, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Need a little help from someone wiser than me, I jumped on a trip to CPH with the deals DL was running yesterday. I will earn my Gold Medallion status over the Atlantic heading to CPH. On my return, I have a couple hours in AMS, and would love to visit a KLM lounge. I will be Sky Team Elite Plus (i think I got that term correct) ... but won't have any of the cards to prove it. Am I out of luck, or will my boarding pass correctly indicate my status?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always try nicely, but I would put the odds of getting past the KLM dragon as less than 1% unless you are departing AMS in BE, have a SC membership card, or are guested in by someone who clearly has privileges.

First, you need the card in AMS.

Second, even if you had a GM card, would the dragons be aware that now GMs get lounge access when flying SkyTeam international?

Third, even if the dragon knew, would the dragon let you enter? (Hint: their favorite phrase is "It is not possible.")

BTW, is it a GM published benefit yet to be SkyTeam Elite Plus starting on March 1? I heard DL executives announce this change but I haven't noticed it yet on delta.dumb.

If you decide to try this, be sure to have a printout of your SkyMiles account. If you can, print your GM card from the website, preferably in color.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Mike1625 likes this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The BP won't reflect the status if you only turned gold a few hours ago. You could try to call special member services, ask them to update your status, and then reprint the BP. Or perhaps if you can log on to your Delta account and print out your account status from there?

Mike1625 likes this.
  4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except for pax flying Business, I have never seen a KLM Dragon NOT check a card.

Mike1625 likes this.
  5. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle, Thanks for the reply. I am talking about the return, 2 days later. I will earn Gold on Friday morning, and want to enter the lounge on Sunday. Thanks for the ideas. So my big question is, are they looking for Sky Team Elite Plus on a boarding pass or a plastic card to get me in the door?

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming that the OP's return trip is a few days later. Doesn't status update the day after miles post?

IME the KLM dragons in AMS (and everywhere) don't trust the stuff that prints on one's boarding pass unless it's for a BE seat.

Mike1625 and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They want a card just like the one in their notebook. It must say SkyTeam ElitePlus, be the right color, etc.

Mike1625 likes this.
  8. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MSPeconomist and Bob Smolinsky - Thanks for the quick answers, even if grim news. I am going to call DL, and ask what they suggest. I also wonder about an email to KLM, but I know they probably don't care (not a knock on them, but I am not their customer - since I am flying on a DL coded flight).

9. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    one more thing .... should I even care. KLM lounge in AMS, worth fighting to see or not? Its just a 2.5 hour layover, I can live without, but wanted to check it out. How does it compare with domestic DL Skyclubs?

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the KLM lounges in AMS are significantly better than the DL SkyClubs, although not as nice as the lounges (SCs, former WCs) in NRT. The closest domestic lounge in the SC system would probably be the Oasis lounge in JFK's T4. The two KLM lounges in AMS have nice showers (towels and toiletries supplied), a substantial Dutch-style cold buffet, free alcohol (European beers, wine, and a small selection of hard alcohol), a selection of international newspapers in different languages, and are generally a pleasant place to wait.

Coming from Copenhagen, you will need to go through passport control (sometimes long lines for non-EU citizens) and a security recheck in AMS. Sometimes the plane lands at a bus gate and sometimes it uses a jetway that is a long walk from the flights to North America. If your two and a half hour connection is on time, you will probably have about an hour to enjoy the lounge.

Jim R. and Mike1625 like this.
  11. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AMS - smoking rooms ! +1 :) Although Schiphol does have a few smoking areas once again as well in the past year.

Mike1625 likes this.
  12. briadavi
    Original Member

briadavi Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess that's one way to keep from getting arrested for drug smuggling.. people can just finish what they have before departure.

hpc likes this.
  13. alpinesoccer
    Original Member

alpinesoccer Silver Member

Status Points:
    KLM Crown Lounge 52 is amazing. Showers, Smoking Room and about 400 seats with 3 fully stocked bars. Most of the time they don't even open up the entire loung becuase they aren't nearly full enough.
    If you are lucky enough to work for a big firm that might have anything to do with the oil industry ( I work for KBR) then you should check out Flying Blue Petroelum. Your company has to be enrolled in the program and it usually only involves work email address to sign up. It is a great free program and you get into the KLM lounge for free as well as meal vouchers, priorty check in, etc. I use it multiple times a year and I even got a free day room at CDG with a long layover there. Check it out.
    http://www.klm.com/travel/fr_en/flying_blue/petroleumclub/index.htm

14. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    The KL lounges' staff in AMS have allowed me into the lounge as an AF-KL Platinum without my card as long as the number showed on my boarding pass or I could give them the AF-KL Platinum number but have repeatedly -- but not always -- denied me access to the lounge using the DL ElitePlus status as noted on the boarding passes. When using my AF-KL Platinum number to access the DL lounges, I've faced the same kind of problems as a DL SkyTeam ElitePlus dealing with the KL lounge staff in AMS.

Mike1625 likes this.
  15. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    The lounge staff in CPH for the contracted lounge grant me access on the basis of status noted on the boarding pass, but I'm not sure if that is because they know me well (more than DL's clueless contracted "security" "interrogator" who either likes to fake that she has forgotten me or has a memory worse than people with early signs of Alzheimer's disease) from all my times of using the lounge when flying other airlines there too.

At AMS, with the KL lounges there, it's been somewhat of a gamble for me -- although I've got AF-KL Platinum status and give them the number even if not the card when my DL status on the boarding pass seemed to not meet their expectation of proof of status.

Depending on timing, you could possibly have an issue with status being updated on DL's systems fast enough for it to even register on DL's own metal flights, let alone KL-operated flights. If it doesn't show up on the boarding pass, kiss goodbye to most any chances of KL recognizing you as having flown the flights to qualify for ElitePlus status and thus entitled to lounge access.

MSPeconomist and Mike1625 like this.
  16. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just jumping back in here to say thanks for the great advice. The trip is less than 2 weeks away. I will give everyone an update after the trip.

GUWonder - You mentioned a lounge at CPH, I could not find any record of it, if I could prove I was Sky Team Elite, could I go in there too? If yes, if there a source for other lounges?

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is consistent with the lounge dragons saying that they cannot access their partners' computer systems. The AF-KL dragons can check AF-KL status only, not DL status, and vv.

Mike1625 likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME the DL lounge dragons and before that the PMNW lounge staff always ask for my lounge access credentials (whatever basis I'm using for access that day, now frequently only my DL boarding pass since it's almost always printed there) and my photo ID even though they obviously know and recognize me, especially in MSP. Perhaps it's a strict airline rule?

It probably also looks better for less frequent lounge visitors that everyone is asked, otherwise someone could assume shenanigans or be even more upset when refused access.

19. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's an independently-operated contracted lounge used by many airlines (SkyTeam airlines are a fraction of the airlines whose customers use the contracted lounge CPH) and KL allows all KL-flying SkyTeam ElitePlus customers to use the contracted lounge when departing on KL-operated flights from CPH even in coach. The CPH contracted Novia (if I remember the name properly) lounge staff have a guide book about who is allowed access: SkyTeam ElitePlus flying KL get access.

Mike1625 likes this.
  20. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    GUWonder - thank you, now I have two places to take a shot at getting in.

21. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    The DL boarding passes automatically include my AF-KL elite status even when I don't show the AF-KL Platinum card at check-in. Apparently DL's systems can figure out the elite status or something else has gone on.

Mike1625 likes this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My comment was a remark on what the lounge dragons are able to access on the computers at the reception desk--for example if someone has earned and recorded the miles for a status level upgrade, but the new status is not yet in the system or for some reason does not print correctly on the boarding pass.

Mike1625 likes this.
  23. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Odd as I've gotten in often using my OK+ Gold card, while by FB # was on the Bording Pass (only Silver now).

Cholula likes this.
  24. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    What you mentions sounds like how it regularly works when having a higher status card to present from one alliance partner while crediting the flight to another program (where the airline/alliance elite status may be lower) as noted on the boarding pass and/or in the PNR.

Mike1625 and MSPeconomist like this.
  25. +1

Also, Mike1625, if you carry the Diners Club card or have a Priority Pass membership, there will be lounges near to lounge 52 that you will be able to use.

O/H

Mike1625 likes this.