Can I use United lounge pass if not flying United?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Robin, Mar 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I have a free United lounge pass from a credit card that will expire soon. Can I use it if I'm not flying United? I have an upcoming flight on Hawaiian Air and wondering if I can use my United Lounge pass at the Honolulu airport.

Thanks.

2. daboogah

daboogah Silver Member

Status Points:
    unless you have a ton of time, they are actually on very opposite sides of the airport itself and the UA lounge in HNL is not even close to worth it.

rookie10, Robin and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use these when flying other airlines. Make sure you check if you have access to the terminal where the club is located. Some airports may require you to pass another security checkpoint. As previously mentioned distance can also affect your decision.

rookie10, Robin and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. Robin
    Original Member

Robin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the responses!

5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    have done it many times

Robin and iolaire like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any domestic lounge that's worth it? The food offerings are standardized, the booze doesn't really differ either, and the furniture, well..., won't make or break a short stay for me. And the waiting areas for the UA gates at HNL are rather depressing, too. Not sure if Hawaiian has nicer digs.

So if there is no better opportunity to use the voucher and if time is not a concern (a 5 min walk before a flight back to the mainland or Asia wouldn't bother me), it might be the perfect opportunity to stock up on a life-time supply of packaged cheese.

8MiHi, Robin and iolaire like this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes make sure you use it - it’s a free perk - it may not be a global first class lounge but it has some snacks, coffee and drinks. We used ours in the AUS airport (flying SW) on Sunday morning - didn't drink any alcohol - but enjoyed coffee, cheese and crackers, a breakfast pastry and a bagel. (Much more food than we found in the MIA AA lounge.) It’s no spa vacation but it its completely worth it even for 45 minutes. Given the choice of one free machine cut of coffee, versus none and an expired piece of paper take the cup of coffee – or even better have some real drinks before your flight.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Them bagels are... edible!? :eek:

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually not.

And, while it is a free perk, I wouldn't make the 10-20 minute walk each way (which is likely the minimum given the size of HNL and the locations of the airlines in question) just for a free beer or cup of snack mix.

8MiHi and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just as I am over the shock of someone apparently eating the bagel, I now read the words "wouldn't make" and "free beer" in the same sentence. Wow. What a day :)

8MiHi likes this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta sometimes flies out of the gates directly under the UC (over Gates 8-9) in HNL, so the walk isn't too far for those flights, but it is a long way for everyone else.
    The bagels do make better Aisle Hockey Pucks than food unless properly prepared (toasted and buttered or jammed), but I enjoyed the cereal with milk, strawberry-banana yogurt and orange juice breakfast I had there yesterday.

IDGflygirl likes this.