Can I use revenue tickets to gauge award ticket availabilities?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by schen75, Mar 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. schen75

schen75 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked 2 BA First tickets using the companion pass from JFK to LHR for travel on mid july. I want to push back our return flight by 1 day, been checking on and off for about a week for the day and time (evening flight) I would like to travel, but without any luck. I'm also checking revenue tickets on their website and I see the flight I want available for purchase.

Here are my questions? If I see the flight I want for purchase, does that mean there are seats available on that flight? Or are they aiming to oversold the flight? If there are seats available, what are my chances of getting on the flight I want if I wait it out? I don't want to wait too long because I don't want to risk not being able get onto a earlier flight (2:40PM) on the same day. Any help and advice is much appreciated!

2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe that you will find a correlation between award and revenue ticket availability. Just because fares are cheap, does not mean that there will be award availability since all inventories and fares are based on overall load factors.

It may be safe too say that if low fares are still being offered, there may be saaver awards available, but there is no guarantee. You have to keep in mind that the airlines primary goal in life is to generate as much revenue as possible before giving seats away. ;)

schen75 likes this.
  3. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    In a word, no.
    If there are seats available for cash tickets, then there are seats available. This tells you nothing about whether or when the airline might allow any of those available seats to be made available for awards. If you wait it out, you're simply gambling, and you need to ask yourself how lucky you feel.

If you want to move flights by one day, and there is award availability on the early flight but not the late flight on the day that you now want, change now to the flight that is available, then keep watching the late flight for availability. If award seats later open up on the late flight, make another change.

Compared to the value of two award tickets in First, the change fee (if you have to pay one) is for all practical purposes irrelevant.

Yield management is not as simple as aiming to oversell the flight or even the cabin you intend to travel in. The plan (especially at the present time) may be to deliberately overbook in one or more lower cabins with the intention of upgrading some lucky people into any empty space in higher cabins, perhaps sequentially rolling people forwards, but without overselling the flight as a whole. It's easy to see how on this plan it may be more profitable to aim to sell one more business ticket for cash, even if the airline knows it has to seat one more business passenger in First, than to take one more award booking in First.

schen75 likes this.
  4. schen75

schen75 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Malikguy and Gobaliser, I will probably wait it out for a couple of more weeks then book the earlier flight. (Hope it's still available) Suck that I will need to pay to change the flight again to an evening flight if and when it becomes available...wish me luck!!

malikguy likes this.
  5. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's entirely a matter for you, but I hope you won't regret it if you adopt this approach and then find that you have to travel on the flight on which you are currently booked - ie on the wrong day altogether, not just at the wrong time on the correct day.
    We're only talking about a few tens of dollars. It's trivia.

schen75 likes this.
  6. schen75

schen75 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know!! :D I'm cheap!! ..just did a search again and clicked on the red link that tells you how many tickets are available,it reads...

"This information is provided to give you an indication of the number of reward seats available. In most cases the number of available seats will not increase, although this may happen occasionally."

Given this new information from the BA site, I think I will book the earlier flight sooner (like today/tomorrow) rather than waiting a couple of more weeks...;)

7. schen75

schen75 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just an update, I was really lucky, i called and was ready to book the earlier flight but ran into some technical issue at BA, they will hold my 3 seats for 72hrs, when I called 3 days later, the later flight became available!!! Of course I got the later departure time...;). More time to spend at their lounge.