Can I use PEK or PVG to for AAdvantage Awards to SE Asia?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by LarryInNYC, Feb 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still on my quest for award tickets for SE Asia this summer, I notice that using the BA search tool it finds flights routed through HKG or NRT.

Checking individual segments, however, I find that availability is better from the US through PEK and PVG, and onward availability from there is good via HKG to my various possible destinations in SE Asia.

Can I connect through PEK or PVG, then through HKG on an AAdvantage award ticket? Or does that somehow turn it into an indirect routing that doesn't qualify? (I'll be calling tonight to try it, but if anyone knows the actual rules I'd prefer being more knowledgeable before I place the call).

Thanks in advance. . .

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Connecting in Asia 1 to get to Asia 2 from North America is allowed.

Keep in mind that individual segment availability doesn't always translate into total award availability though.

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I think I ran into that the other day when I found BKK -> ORD on BA and plenty of ORD -> NYC at the low rate on AA, but apparently they couldn't join (most of) them. Is there any way to figure out when the segments can be joined up, and when they can't without having to talk to a customer service rep? The availability on NYC -> PEK and PEK -> SE Asia looks pretty good, and I'm wondering why the BA award search didn't find them.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The pay services will search the availability through the whole itinerary. They're most likely married segments, so if you're searching point to point (BKK-ORD then ORD-LGA for example) you won't get any indication of whether or not booking BKK-LGA as a single one way is available.

JohnDeere19 and kyunbit like this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, BKK is in Asia 2 and you're trying to connect in Europe if you're flying BA BKK-ORD...if you want to do that, 2 awards, not 1 since they only allow connection in Asia 1 from Asia 2 to/from North America...perhaps that's what they were having trouble with.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, I'm definitely searching trans-Pacific flights. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of them not finding the flight because of the extra connection.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I was confused by the above post. I was under the impression that you were searching for BKK-ORD on BA metal, but I guess you're saying that you're searching on BA's site...got it.

8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, using BA's award site to uncover Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and DragonAir economy award space from trans-Pacific routing from east coast US to SE Asia for (essentially) August.

JohnDeere19 likes this.