Can I use my IHG Club points to gift a friend?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Thomask, Jul 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I want to use my IHG Club points and book a reward night for someone else? Can I do that? I ask the Hotel GM directly and they said I can not... I am thinking of IC in Koh Samui, Thailand. Does anyone know the rules?

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can book the room and add the friend's name as the second guest.

lapointdm likes this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they say why you couldnt? In my experience, I make the reservation online, and call the hotel to let them know a family member is checking in.

4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had trouble booking USA IHG hotels rooms for people using my points. They do typically either want a credit card for incidentals or a faxed form with your credit card authorization. It could be overseas is different. Just try to book it and put them in the comments section. I would then contact IHG customer service and ask them to confirm that this will be OK, get something in writing to give to your friend in case of issue at the hotel and give them a hard copy of all the confirmation emails, etc.

5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had no problems reserving a room under my account, adding a family member as a 2nd name, and have that person check in first. Likewise, a family member had booked a stay under her account, and i checked in first as a 2nd guest, without any issues. Usually, i will email the hotel first to get confirmation that the 2nd guest could check in first, so far no issues.

6. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a award reservation for my wife in Paris via the phone line and that's how the agent set up the reservation. In my name with her as the additional guest.

daninstl likes this.
  7. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the different replies. I had contacted the IC GM directly and she replied saying I can not do that. After I heard back from her I contacted IHG Ambassador directly and they replied saying:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact the InterContinental Ambassador Service Center.
    We would like to inform you that as an IHG Rewards Club member, you can use your points to book a reservation for someone else. However, your name must always appear in the primary name field on the Reward Night reservation. The other name(s) need to be added to the reservation’s secondary name field only so that both names appear on the reservation."

The reply from IHG is what most of you are doing or were saying. Thank you. I am now at peace and will do as suggested. Thanks again everyone!

I guess most Hotel; reward programs let you do that? Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott, Club Carlson? What is your experience with the other chains?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  8. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would not agree that most hotels programs let you do this easily.

IHG allows online reservations and has special field to add the other persons name, and also a comment section where you can the note that the other guest will arrive first. And even if you never arrive its not a problem. I've done this many times.

Newscience likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done this in the past as well, but I generally call the hotel to make sure they know that the guest will either arrive first or without me.

The only catch is that even though the reservation is "prepaid" using points they will still need a credit card and ID for incidentals, although that's standard for every hotel.

10. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. When you make your reservation, put in your friend as the additional guest - then he/she would be able to check in without you being there.

11. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    great value for 25K points !

Newscience and DJP_707 like this.
  13. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nice the rooms look great and only 25K points, for $300+ makes me want to go.

Newscience likes this.
  14. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    go ! highly doubt this property will be on the Point Break list ! :p

15. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    On arrival of the guest, which credit card is to be presented at check in?

16. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i don't think there is a fixed one, it can be one presented by the guest checking in.

Thomask likes this.
  17. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does
    Doesn't matter the other guest can use there own card. It doesn't have to be your card.

Newscience likes this.
  18. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup, hotel doesn't mind, as long as one of the guests pay for the room with his/her credit card:p

Newscience likes this.