Can I use my AA miles on any of their partner airlines?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tiaflys, Jun 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tiaflys

tiaflys New Member

Status Points:
    When I go to redeem my miles on line it only shows AA flights - Is it possible for me to book with their partner airlines?

wrxmom and marcwint55 like this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi tiaflys, welcome to MP! :)

You can use your AA miles with partners, however there are procedural issues depending on which airlines you want to fly on or where you want to go.

Currently you can ONLY book flights with AA, British Airways (BA), Hawaiian Airlines (HA), Alaska Airlines (AS), and Qantas (QF) on AA.com.

If you want to use your AA miles for any other partner, you would need to call AA and have a telephone agent assist you with finding an award. Unfortunately this comes with a fee, but it's a fairly minor dollar amount.

Since you said only AA flights were showing, I'm guessing your destination is only served by AA or is also served by one of AA's partners that is not bookable online. Where are you looking to go with your miles?

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Depending on the route you may get offered flights on British Airways, Hawaiian Air, or Qantas. If you want other partners like AirBerlin, Finnair, Cathay Pacific, etc., you need to call. The agents can help you find availability and book the ticket(s).

4. tiaflys

tiaflys New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the speedy reply Mike! We want to book flights from San Francisco to either London or Paris for NEXT June and are waiting for the 330 day mark when you can first start booking. However if we put in dates a little closer (within the range) it just shows us American flights that have 12 hour stop overs in Seattle and ridiculous things like that. I don't expect a non-stop - but I don't want to waste a whole vacation day either. I was wondering if I called an agent if more opportunities would present themselves - probably depends on how good the agent is and whether they are in a good mood or not, right?

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the days where award (or cheap revenue) inventory magically showed up at 330 days out on the schedule are long gone by now. There is a very good chance that revenue booking will open up but awards will not. In other words, you can start looking but don't be too dejected if you don't see them right away. You'll have to be diligent and keep checking if you want to find the award seats.

Also, if there is a connection in SEA to LHR then BA is likely involved. ;)

wrxmom likes this.
  6. tiaflys

tiaflys New Member

Status Points:
    At the moment I don't remember exactly how many days before your travel date they open up awards bookings but it's somewhere around 330 and if we are looking to go the first week of June then that is 335 days from now - so booking this week wouldn't be too late I would think. Unless I misunderstood you and you are saying if we wait even longer more opportunities may show up?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA allows award bookings to happen as early at 330 days out. But the key phrase is "as early".

Awards do not automatically become available at 330 days, which is what Wandering Aramean was getting at.

So if there is no space available now on the flights you want, then further down the road space may open up. Maybe at 310 days, or 256, or even as late as 10 days. There's no formula that will tell you exactly when award space opens up. The key is to be persistant and regularly check for space.

Forget being too late, you might be too early. ;)

wrxmom and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would also add, is there a particular reason why you're so keen on avoiding AA metal? British Airways will likely have space available to either destination between now and your travel dates, but they charge fairly hefty fuel surchages, which means depending on what kind of ticket you buy (economy, business, first) you will be looking at a "free" ticket that could cost you almost $600-$1000 per person. So if you do want to use someone besides AA, to keep the free ticket economical, you should look at other partners like Finnair (AY), AirBerlin (AB), and Iberia (IB). IB still charges some additional fuel surcharges, but much less than BA.

wrxmom and Flying Bat like this.
  9. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree D David. I suppose the choice may also involve style and convenience. The surcharge area is somewhat harsh and from time to time I find it worth discussing with colleagues who are interested in a swap AA:BA.

If Paris is the target, I seem to recall
    OpenSkies operate a non-stop service between Paris and New York.
    a direct Paris New York route, this might offer an interesting choice.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The routines on AA metal are through ORD and DFW. I'd also suggest looking at Aer Lingus and AirBerlin, especially if you're looking for Business Class vs. First Class. As others have noted, BA has fantastic service, but they charge comparatively high fuel charges and you'll pay an extra tax for going through London.

To check AA and the others I mentioned, you're much better off calling. Aer Lingus and AirBerlin don't show up yet online.

FWIW, we flew on AA metal and business class was more than acceptable. Aside from BA, nobody had a first class experience worth what you'd get on a TPAC trip.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Aer Lingus hasn't been a redeemable AA partner for quite awhile. The only links between AA and Aer Lingus I can think of currently is the use of the Gold Circle club in DUB (which I used in April, not too bad of a lounge!) for the seasonal AA flights or the Global Explorer ticket offered through OW.

You must be thinking of BA miles. ;)

12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something to keep in mind... our host Randy would write that sometimes the call center may have availability when your computer doesn't. www.insideflyer.com magazine has run stories on this.

tiaflys, welcome to Milepoint.

SC Flier likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think OpenSkies is a redeemable partner on AA, just an earning partner if you book the AA codeshare.

14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, not sure how I missed that. Thanks, David! The list of all redeemable partners is here, by the way.

15. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA flies to both CDG and LHR from MIA and AB flies from MIA to TXL.
    Personally I dont think even BAs First is worth the amount of $800 per person in YQ charges with that you could pay for a few nights in a great Paris hotel or almost two blow out dinners at le Arpage.

JNB280 likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main costs associated with London come from departing the UK on an airplane, moreso in a premium cabin. Flying to the UK or connecting through it won't be nearly as bad.

17. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still amazed that people will justify this cost. I guess this is the beauty of a travel bulletin board.

SC Flier likes this.
  18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    For $100/hour @ 8 hours, I'm expecting a LOT more. :)

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Despite the cost I'm debating doing a redemption and biting the bullet. I'm trying to experience all the premium cabins on OW carriers, and I've avoided BA for quite awhile.