Can I use miles + $99 companion ticket to book 2 tickets?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Paul Teddy, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I have enough miles for a free flight.
    I also have a $99 companion ticket.

Can I combine miles and $99 companion ticket to book 2 tickets?
    OR
    Do I need to purchase 1 ticket and then use the $99 companion ticket to book the 2nd ticket?

Thanks

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess would be no, but you must read the T & C on your cert. If it's electronic, try clicking stuff. There probably is a requirement that the ticket that is used to obtain the companion award ticket must be purchased in a fare code from a list, which will all be published fares.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, welcome to MP. I just noticed that you joined today and this was your first post. If you click on your username or avatar, you'll see that you've already received status points for it.

4. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSPe guessed correctly. The companion voucher is awesome but not that great.

from http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileageplan/Companion-Ticket-FAQ.asp :

What is the Companion Ticket Discount Code that comes with my credit card?
      1. The Companion Ticket Discount Code entitles the cardholder to purchase one round-trip reduced rate ticket on Alaska Airlines and/or Horizon Air when traveling with another passenger on a paid published airfare in the same itinerary, booked at the same time. The Companion Ticket Discount Code is not valid with Multi-City shopping or Award reservations, and cannot be combined with other discounts.

AKGUY likes this.
  5. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    You could buy a first class ticket and get the second for $99 or buy 2 "miles and money" tickets and keep the certificate for another trip. And another warm welcome to Milepoint and the Alaska corner. :)

6. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    It isn't?! :eek: That's news to me...my own personal experience says otherwise. ;)

Of course, I was not doing an open-jaw or anything--just using Multi-City to find--er--creative routings on an itinerary. ;)

Exiled in Express likes this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have done mutli-city shopping and also open jaw itineraries with a companion ticket. My impression has always been that any all-Alaska (and Horizon) paid itinerary that could be booked on the AlaskaAir website could have a companion ticket applied.

8. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, no matter how convoluted. I am living proof of that! :D

(And Exiled, I know you were just the messenger who happened to post a quote from AS's T&C. My post wasn't directed at you!)

9. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    SHHHH, don't tell AS. I've used it that way myself (at least I have traveled with someone that used it that way).:D