Can I use 2 different credit cards and get 1 PNR?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ducster, Mar 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm buying 4 tickets for my family for a trip later this year, and want to use 2 different cards; my UA Club Card so I can get the associated baggage allowance, and my BA card so I can apply the spend to reach $30K for a companion pass. Is it possible to buy my ticket using the UA card and the other 3 on the BA card and have all 4 tickets on the same PNR?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not done this on United, but in the past AA has allowed me to use two different payments per PNR (e.g., two gift cards, two credit cards, one of each).

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't you just call CS and have all the PAX linked under one PNR?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't actually do anything useful. Either you're really on a single PNR or you're not; "linking" is a joke.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Virtually all travel-related sites will allow use of multiple payment methods for purchase of travel with a single PNR. I say 'virtually' because somewhere there must be some company that will not do that. I have never heard of such a case.

harvson3, sobore and anabolism like this.
  6. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's a joke, but it almost never does anything. Given that it's just a field that is ignored by automated systems, there isn't much it can do. In theory, if something goes wrong and if someone is manually reaccomodating, then maybe that person will notice the field and make sure both parties remain together. The example that comes to mind is when there is a flight delay/cancellation out of an airport with a smaller Admiral's Club, and the AAngel pulls up the list of AC members on the manifest. I've never been in a situation where an AAngel reaccomodated me while I was traveling with someone who was on a separate but "linked" PNR, so I can't say if this would be a case of it working.

autolycus, sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was traveling with my daughter last October on flights which I had linked the separate PNRs. She has no status, but got a CPU on the second leg. While I certainly wouldn't count on it, I was happy for her to get some value from the all-too-many BIS miles that "Dad" flies each year.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we're saying the same thing; I just used fewer words. ;)

MX and jbcarioca like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not aware of a way to accomplish this on United.com.

There is a potential workaround: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...6-paying-flights-pre-paid-multiple-cards.html

Supposedly calling reservations would be an option, too.

boondr and jbcarioca like this.
  10. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. I did talk to a couple of reservations people subsequently, and they confirmed that there is no way to do this on the same PNR.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So buying a gift card with the BA card and using that combined with the UA Club card for benefits doesn't work for you?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, sorry, I didn't clarify. I asked one of the agents, and she said that would indeed work. I was just talking about using 2 credit cards. The gift card idea is an excellent suggestion. Thanks for pointing that out.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I wrong to think that the OP doesn't need to use the United Club card when making the reservation to get the free baggage allowance? I understood that the benefit was tied to one's MileagePlus number, like the MP Explorer is. I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Counsellor and jbcarioca like this.
  15. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I had thought but there are recent reports that they are enforcing the rule that one must use the card when purchasing the ticket in order to get the benefit. While this might be isolated now, I'm afraid that it will be enforced more and more, and I don't want to take the chance.

Counsellor and jbcarioca like this.
  16. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You buy a United gift certificate (online) with one card and you then book the ticket with that gift certificate plus the other credit card. I have done this more than once.

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful that with the two payment methods the computer doesn't allocate the two methods to each ticket, in equal proportions. So only some fraction of your ticket would be paid with the United Club card.

jbcarioca likes this.