Can I upgrade a purchased AA codeshare on BA metal?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Sep 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Purchased via AA: Deep-discount economy (O fare on AA), AUS-ORD-CDG, then return CDG-LHR-DFW-AUS. Everything is on AA metal except CDG-LHR, which is an AA codeshare operated by BA.

SWU's cleared on all AA segments, but of course that doesn't touch the BA segment.

I am an AA EXP / OW Emerald but have no status on BA. I do have BA miles and am an EC "Blue" member.

Is there any way for me to use my BA miles to upgrade the BA segment to ClubEurope? I'll call BA this afternoon, but that's always a hassle as wait times are 10+ min in the US. Thought I'd reach out here, first.

If not, it's a short flight... but why miss an upgrade? :)

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Edited: Upon further reflection, I believe you can upgrade that flight using AA miles if you booked the ticket with AA. Not sure with BA miles, though.

Personally, I think using your miles to upgrade CDG-LHR would be a waste. All those miles for a blocked middle seat and awful eggs and sausage for 40 minutes? Keep the miles, IMHO. :)

Mike Reed likes this.
  3. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if it were a BA flight number, the fact that BA didn't issue the ticket could cause problems as well. MFU usually requires tickets issued by BA, or by a BA preferred agent--which I'm almost certain AA isn't, believe it or not.

Mike Reed likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true... it's more the MP'er in me wanting to never miss an upgrade. I called BA. Per their terms, I can only upgrade using miles if it's on BA stock (125 stock), not AA tickets. Oh, well, c'est la vie! Maybe, just maybe one of the BAbes at the lounge can do something day-of-flight. If not, you're right, it's a short flight. :)

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. So it goes. Not that I fault BA. And I certainly didn't expect my AA SWU to upgrade us on BA metal, so I can't be upset. I am getting what I paid for.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, though I edited my response to just state that he could upgrade if he choose to use AA miles instead of BA miles. Skips all the hassle and as an EXP I'm sure he has some AA miles laying around.

I mistakenly thought the partnership between BA/AA would mean AA was a preferred agent.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you really want the upgrade, why not use AA miles? I can't fault a guy for wanting to skip Y ;)

8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see you've caught the upgrade bug too! I agree though, even if it were possible, I'd say save the miles!

rwoman likes this.
  9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realize that was possible. A quick search, however, found this page that details how this works, but it looks like it's only for full-fare economy (Y, B) and we're an O fare. Am I looking at the right thing?

OceanBreezes and rwoman like this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Especially one who may be traveling with a 3-5 month pregnant wife. :)

rwoman and DestinationDavid like this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's it. My apologies though, I thought I saw that you were on a B fare, not an O fare. I'm working without my glasses today. :confused:

Also, though the flight time is listed as 1:30, I believe that's heavily padded and the actual in air time isn't all that long, more like 40/50 min.

Do you follow Lucky's blog? Here's his recent CDG-LHR BA Club Europe review: LINK.

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice link! Yeah, if it's that short of a flight, it's probably not worth it. I may try to select seats, though... we've got a 90-minute transfer time between this flight and our outbound AA flight, so we'll be making the T5-T3 trek (and likely no lounge time).

13. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an AA EXP you are eligible to select seats in advance on BA. In fact, you can select a Club Europe seat that's designated as coach if you plan right and keep monitoring your reservation. For example, and the first 8 rows of an A320 are actually configured as Club Europe seats, but the movable partition is simply placed at the back of Club Europe when the size of the J cabin is determined. Thus, if you select seat 8D now, unless BA decide they need the entirety of the CE-configured seats for J (unlikely for such a short hop), you'll end up with a J seat with Y catering. As has been stated earlier, do not expect much from the seat--CE seats are really just a couple of extra inches of legroom and an empty seat next to you (when designated as CE, not necessarily when it's an ET seat). Note as well that, because configuration often changes at least once during the lead up to your flight, your seat may get changed more than once, so keep checking MMB for your seat assignment and alter it as needed to be sure you're happy with your seat when the day of flight comes. Good luck!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  14. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got lucky with this not too long ago...great seat if you can pull it off!

Microwave likes this.
  15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mike,

At least CDG-LHR is only about a 50 minute flight...so not TOO bad unless you get put in a holding pattern into LHR for a long time! The only difference up front is the middle seat is open. Coming into T5 on BA and transferring to T3 for an AA flight was very easy - just follow the purple flight connection signs. Once you arrive at T3, you'll clear airport security again and then need to stop at the AA desk afterwards. It took me no more than 30 minutes to catch the bus, clear, have my BP checked (they ask the standard security questions), and be on my way to the lounge.

:)robin

Microwave likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Robin -

Thanks. When we made the AMS-LHR-MIA connection a few months ago, the T5-T3 transfer SUCKED. It was so disorganized and took much longer than it should have. 3 different security checks. Horrible experience.

We were in CE from AMS-LHR, so it's about the same. And the only segments that REALLY matter are the TATL ones.

17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope your next experience is BETTER!! :D

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you're apparently not taking a stopover at LHR, if you were to upgrade TATL with miles rather than a SWU, would the CDG-LHR upgrade be included at the same price in miles? Depending on whether miles can be used to upgrade the fare code you're using, this might work, although you would want to check whether switching from the SWU to miles in one direction would risk the TATL upgrades you've already confirmed.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    He can't include it because of his ticket fare class, which I still feel bad about misreading before. :(

Even if he could it's still a bad trade, IMHO.

Free TATL upgrade with SWUs vs. 50K in AA miles and $700 in copayments just to add that mediocre Club Europe segment? No, thank you!

DCtrAAveler and Microwave like this.