Can I trade AA miles for United? Answer: no

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by recyclecology, Dec 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. recyclecology

recyclecology New Member

Status Points:
    We need a trip to BJM and AA does not get close, anyone know if I can trade 100,000 AA miles of mine for 100,000 United miles? I also have lots of system wide VIP's this year if they are worth more to you than miles... I need to be sure this is something that does not violate AA's rules.

James

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't try to trade AA miles or SWUs if I were you...

recyclecology likes this.
  3. recyclecology

recyclecology New Member

Status Points:
    will they get mad at me?

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends how you look at it. There have been a lot of reports of AA locking and then shutting down accounts due to suspicion of trading/selling miles and SWUs, which are all not allowed according to their T&Cs. Definitely your call to make..

5. recyclecology

recyclecology New Member

Status Points:
    So you don't think I can do an even trade of miles from another airline? I don't want to sell them, I can just buy the ticket. If that is the case, I feel sorry for all the people that use the websites that advertise they will buy your miles...

6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's still trading miles, so it's your call to make. Since it seems like you're an EXP (due to the SWUs), I'm not sure if you'd like to risk your EXP account getting closed and no longer having access to your miles.. I'd just buy a ticket or apply for a few CCs that gets you the miles/points you need. Maybe even purchase miles during a promotion...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. recyclecology

recyclecology New Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, thank you!

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The following or something like it needs to be posted periodically. This one is from the United T&C but it is pretty much the same industry-wide [bold font in the original]:

Prohibition of sale or barter
    • The sale or barter or attempted sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards or benefits transferred, assigned or sold in violation of the Program Rules, in addition to exposing the member to the penalties otherwise associated with violations, may be confiscated or canceled. The use of award tickets that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other conduct in violation of Program Rules may result in termination of membership, cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, confiscation of the tickets, denial of boarding with respect to the ticket holder, and, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable fare.

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a possible solution:
    1. Apply for the US Airways Mastercard since it's offering 50K US Air miles after your first purchase. The annual fee is $89 and it isn't waived for the first year.
    2. Purchase 60K US Airways miles through their current promotion for $1,462, so you have 110K miles in total which is enough for a round-trip ticket between the US and Africa.
    3. Try to find a routing on Qatar via DOH to Nairobi since there are two airlines that fly non-stop to Bujumbura and you'd avoid the YQ and high taxes via LHR.
    4. Get a separate revenue ticket between Nairobi and Bujumbura.

You might be looking at roughly $2K per person in total (if both of you were to apply for the US Air CC). However, you can add in a stopover on the US award, which somewhat gives more value...

Newscience and recyclecology like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that's the case then an outright revenue trip might be the way to go. I do not know what the OP's departure city is but I just searched for RT flights from JFK to BJM and found tickets on KLM, Air France, South African, or multiple carriers for ~$1,600 to ~$2,000. For about $2K, South African Airways may be the best way to go (from JFK) because it would get you there in 1 day, whereas all the others would require 2 days. An award trip might even take longer because it would depend on availability of award seats...

11. recyclecology

recyclecology New Member

Status Points:
    Wow, lots of help! Our routing is SGN-BJM, it is for my wife and her sister, so I need two tickets. Also, South African was my choice also, but they don't fly to BJM, that I could see. Viet Nam airlines looks like the best way for us. I always buy my tickets and use the miles for my family.

Another funny thing, my son has enough United miles to make up what I lack to get two tickets, only 13,000 miles, but they want 1.5 cents per mile to transfer. I think that is all they are worth. Why would anyone pay what they are worth to transfer them?

12. recyclecology

recyclecology New Member

Status Points:
    what is YQ?

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is even much cheaper and faster and more convenient from SGN:

TG: SGN-BKK
    Kenya Airways: BKK-NBO-BJM

All for just $1,450.

14. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine would be for a Biz award ticket. I doubt paid-Biz tickets between NYC-BJM will go for $1.6-2K...

15. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    YQ is fuel surcharges. It's basically a fee that all airlines charge on ticket, but a few (ex. BA) charge it on award tickets as well. LHR has the APD tax as well, so it's a double whammy to connect via LHR.

16. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool. SGN-NBO requires 90K US miles per person, so 20K cheaper and you still get Biz class.

Yeah, I never recommend the transfer miles option...

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP did not specify and I doubt 100,000 would be enough for 2 biz tickets...

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    One way or two ways. Maybe we should get the desired parameters before we speculate!

19. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's true that the OP didn't specify on his preferred COS, but I'm sure many of us would go towards premium cabin redemptions, no? I somewhat mentioned it was 110K per person (now 90K since the OP mentioned SGN).

20. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Air only allows R/T redemptions...

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, UA allows O/W as do most *A carriers...

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, we need to know all the parameters. All we know is that the OP wanted to trade 100,000 AA for 100,000 UA miles. It may be all the he has for 2. From there to start planning BIZ awards is a big jump.

23. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    100K per person in Y R/T and 170K per person in C R/T...

24. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP didn't even mention 2 PAX until after my recommendation on getting the US card and topping his account by purchasing miles, which is why I speculated he only needed a ticket for himself. Sure I speculated he wanted a Biz ticket, but for a long trip who wouldn't want Biz for a long journey?

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Long trips each way on award compared to ~$1,400