Can I swap flights with someone?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by pnoeric, Aug 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    My sister has her Sunday STT-MIA flight cancelled and rescheduled for Thursday... but she needs to get home sooner than that! I'm an EXP with a seat on an STT-MIA flight is still on for Monday. (It may be cancelled due to Isaac, but for now, let's go on the assumption that the Monday flight is still on...)

If I call AA, can they swap our seats, so I fly Thursday and she can take my Monday seat? Both flights are sold out, and could be oversold, so I don't know if they can let her take my seat or if they have to give it to the next person in line for a seat.

duxflyer and _kurt like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I very much doubt you will be allowed to do this... if it has been done before I certainly have never heard of it.
    If you and your sister have different surnames I know it cannot be done without cancelling and rebooking.

pnoeric likes this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they'll count it as a separate booking. Your ticket on your flight is for you, and vice-versa. Them's the rules...

pnoeric, duxflyer and Sunshine7 like this.
  4. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chances are slim and none, and slim just left town on the last redeye. Never hurts to ask, though. Do you by any chance have the same first initial and last name?

I have a similar situation. I have a milesaaver booked on a weekend where only aanytime awards are available. I can no longer fly my ticket, while a friend could. Chances of AA allowing that? Pretty much nil.

pnoeric, duxflyer and Sunshine7 like this.
  5. duxflyer

duxflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had a similar experience before. Once you give up your seat, the seat will be made available to individuals on the wait list based on the airline priority assignment order. Wish I have better news for you. Safe travel.

pnoeric likes this.
  6. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha, thanks everyone. We don't have the same first initial or last name, so I think we're out of luck with this. We're going to take her standby today... I think it'll work out.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the same day at the same airport there would be nothing to stop you from swapping BP's after you cleared security... but this situation doesn't work that way.

viguera likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Particularly now that TSA has started setting up at some flights and checking BPs again when passengers board. Has happened to me twice in the last six months. I can only imagine the headaches one would have if you tried to board with an ID and BP that didn't match.

Sunshine7 and perryplatypus like this.
  9. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed this on a couple flights I have taken too. First I thought it may have just been the airport I was flying out of but it has now happened at a couple of different places.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to ask them if this means they didn't do it right the first time. :)

pnoeric and perryplatypus like this.
  11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Switching BPs was going to be my suggestion as well, especially if you are confirmed and she's on standby (so you both get through security and to the gate).

I think the TSA ID checker now scans your BP, which could cause a problem if you modified it after downloading and before printing (e.g., swapping your name for hers).