Can I stopover using Southwestern Flight Pass (M fare)?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by quank, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I was going to use my Southwestern Flight Pass for an April trip from YEG to LAS. On the way back, the flight is LAS-YVR-YEG. Now I need to be in Vancouver around the same time so I was wondering whether I can stopover in YVR for a few days before heading back to YEG - does anyone know the fare rules for this flight pass and/or whether I can do this at no additional cost? It's a flight pass that books into M fare if that is relevant info.

My other thought was maybe I just book the flight and then pay the change fee to push the YVR-YEG out a few days. I assume that would work?

2. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my experience, nope! I've tried on North American/London passes before and always had it denied. The routing rules don't really permit it. I have structured trips so I'm on the last flight out and second or third flight the next morning and if the schedule works out this can be really handy but otherwise no. Even sometimes been able to do a same day change of my connection the next morning to the evening. For a few days though I doubt you'd find a way to get away with it.

Stopovers would be nice, certainly a good way to justify the continual pass cost increases :) Be better than the addition of Hawaii or Anchorage (which they for some reason refuse to indicate as a seasonal route..).

3. Thanks CdnFlier - I didn't think so but through I'd put it out there for comment. Do you think I could pay a fee to just change the last flight to a few days out?

4. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doubt it.. that goes a bit beyond same day changes :) I mean hell you could book it and try then get a separate ticket.. but I really, really doubt it. Even more so because of how confused agents become when faced with Flight Pass bookings in general.

5. YVR-Flyer
    Original Member

YVR-Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Which may assist you in adding a stopover.

6. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    haha perhaps.. although hell one time I VDB'd off a flight and it took them forever to get the ticket changed. The agent was upset when she realized it was a FP booking :)

Good luck to the OP though!

7. Tax Dude
    Original Member

Tax Dude Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have managed to get them to manually schedule in an overnight (not a stopover) on a London Pass ( YYT-YYZ-LHR and the reverse) about 3 times. It was about 2 years ago and it took them a while to do it. They couldn't come up with the actual rules so seemed to go ahead just because they couldn't find anything saying they couldn't. I've emailed asking for the complete fare rules but only get references to the website which is pretty incomplete.

8. Related question (didn't want to start a new thread): Do you think I could use my 8 credit flight pass for a family of four by (a) booking return segments for husband/wife - 4 credits, (b) paying $100 name change fee to book return flight for kid 1 - 2 credits and (c) paying another $100 name change fee to book return flight for kid 2 - 2 credits?

Using that approach, 4 return tickets on Southwestern pass would be about $2100 (inclusive of all taxes and fees) which is pretty reasonable.