Can I rent on behalf of someone else?

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by DCtrAAveler, Sep 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I handle all of the rental cars when my partner and I travel, so I have a Emerald Club account and he doesn't. I also have Executive status. Later this month we're taking trips separately, and he'll need a rental car. Is there a way to use my account for his rental?

Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall having to produce a driving license and credit card on driving out so it is unlikely it will work. They cannot run the risk of your partner (whom they cannot verify) from driving off permanently...

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, that's what I was figuring. We were looking for a way for him to be able to use my status, and credit the rental without having to create a new account in his name.

Flyer1976, jbcarioca and WilliamQ like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    National does allow you to have an additional driver for free, but if you want to take advantage of your elite status you have to be the one to drive off the lot. You might need to produce your membership card and credit card (and most likely your license) when you get to the booth to leave the lot (even if you just pick up the car from the aisle), so unless you're handing him the car later you won't be able to do it.

And of course, handing him the car later might be a bad idea. :)

jbcarioca and WilliamQ like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    And this applied to Hertz when I rent from them too. With car rentals, there is a real risk involved so the companies are more conscientious with their ID and credit card checks. With Hotel stays, although technically also not allowed, the actual checks happens less often.

jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a significantly higher risk of loss with a car rental. This is also the reason why it's relatively easier to get a mortgage compared to a car loan, because they always know where the house is, whereas the car can literally disappear :)

The hotel takes a chance by only running a small pre-approval for incidentals when you go to a hotel, but chances are that if you trash the place they can chase after you for damages while still maintaining ownership of the room.

If you decide to run with a rental car, they're on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars worth of property, and they can't make money with it again until they get it back, which usually requires not only a collection agency but also a recovery company to go out and find it, then return it to them.

Flyer1976, jbcarioca and WilliamQ like this.