Can I purchase RR points directly from Southwest to fill my Companion Pass quota?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by peteyboy100, Sep 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. peteyboy100
    Original Member

peteyboy100 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about 5,000 points shy of earning a companion pass on Southwest. If I buy 5,000 point from them, will they count towards the companion pass?

Thanks!

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, purchased points don't count. Do you have the Southwest credit card?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

iolaire likes this.
  3. peteyboy100
    Original Member

Status Points:

Yes I do.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spend points count. Focus on moving daily expenses to the card and paying it off monthly. How close does that get you?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

flyforawg and daninstl like this.
  5. peteyboy100
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Mike. The spend on the CC would get me about 1300 points a month. We are very minimalist spenders (that's why we are in the points game... to get cheap flights/travel). Between my wife and I we are able to us AP to get 2000 spend and that has worked well for us, but we just needed these extra points before we start planning our Christmas trip.

After scouring, I found out that I can transfer Club Carlson points into RR and that should count. I happen to have points left over from their great promotion from a year ago. So, I'm going to try that. Thanks again for your help.

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have cash to float the loans, Kiva is a good method to support a charity, tie up your money for a period of time, but get (most of it) back, and get some CC spend.