Can I only call in to purchase a ticket in certain cases?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by enichols22124, May 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

I'm trying to book a Flight to Curacao from Austin using US Airways. I get from Austin(AUS) to Charlotte (CLT), Charlotte to Aruba(AUA), but at Aruba....looks like I need to fly a partner (Insel Airlines - according to their website and other places, they have a codeshare agreement of some sort). However, on US Airways site, I can't figure out how to enable the ability to put in that airport (CUR). Are some partners only available via a call in with a rep? I'd rather book it all through one place than call Insel and add them separately.

Anyone have any guidance? Or a "trick" that I am missing here to enter the itinerary?

Thanks..

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd look at 3rd party online travel agents if the US site won't do it for you.

3. enichols22124

Status Points:
    That's a good point, Orbitz shows it as one purchase. Doesn't hurt the points gained to do it that way, right?

I guess I never book third party, so I don't have the experience to note if there is a disadvantage to getting tickets that way.

4. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Read the refund policy carefully of the third-party site and if you're unsure, buy travel insurance. My sister bought a tix through Travelocity on Delta that was a codeshare flight on AirFrance to Egypt. Her travel dates were during the uprising and she cancelled the trip. She had to request the refund through AirFrance and since the French Government didn't issue a travel warning, AirFrance wasn't required to provide refunds. They said she cancelled a non-refundable tix based on her own preference. In the end, Delta said that had she purchased through the delta website, they would have been able to refund her...but since she booked on travelocity, Delta had no responsibility per Travelocity's policy. However, had she gotten trip insurance....it wouldn't have really mattered.

I personally book frequently through Expedia when I want to fly partly on US Air and partly on Star Alliance partners like Asiana and Thai and use my US Air FF# all the time w/out any issues.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. The main disadvantage to such an approach is that you're dealing with a travel agent and if things go south prior to the trip you can be stuck in the middle. Rare enough an occurrence that I generally don't bother to care, but worth knowing.
    She should have been subject to the DL CoC, not that of the operating carrier. Definitely a case of a run-around as I described above, but the CoC doesn't change based on the sales channel. If purchasing the exact same fare directly from DL would have permitted the refund then so should her ticket purchased via an OTA.
    It VERY much depends on the details of the trip insurance policy. They are notoriously hard to collect on.

6. vortoozo
    Original Member

vortoozo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alternative is to call US and have them book it over the phone. Best if you have all the flight details ready to feed to the agent. In the past I have not been charged the phone booking fee for itineraries that cannot be booked on US.com but YMMV.

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can price it up using a third party website, you should have no issue with US ticketing it for you.

I'd give the agent airport names followed by the airport code to prevent confusion or any lookup. Especially for airports that they don't deal with often, they may not have it at the tip of their tongue.

8. enichols22124

Status Points:
    Thanks, that's what I did, no problem. I guess they just didn't have an update on the system for the codeshare, but it wasn't a problem to do the call. Thanks everyone, I feel much better about it this way.