Can I make this LAX connection?

Discussion in 'LAX/SNA/LGB/BUR | Los Angeles Area Airports' started by chaotix, Dec 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are taking a trip to Asia next fall. On the way back we're flying EVA air from TPE to LAX and arriving at 2:55PM. If everything is on time will we be able to make a connecting flight to PHX on US that departs at 4:20PM? We will be carry-on only, but will have to clear immigration, almost certainly change terminals, and then I'm guessing we'll need to clear security. What do you guys think?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably, but much better odds if you have Global Entry/PreCheck. You will definitely need to re-clear security in the US terminal after arriving in TBIT.

Is it all a single reservation or separate PNRs? If separate it is definitely risky, especially as they will no longer be alliance partners at that point.

chaotix likes this.
  3. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have thought about Global Entry, but we don't do enough international travel to justify it. I was considering getting an Amex Plat card to pay for the fee anyway, but probably won't now that AA/US lounge access is going away.

I'm still pretty new to the game here, so I'm not quite sure about your PNR question. Both flights are under the same award with United.

I hadn't thought about US's alliance shifting by the time our flight will take place. If we do end up missing the connection should I speak with someone at US or United?

4. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is quite a hike from TB to terminal 1 probably will take 10-15 minutes just to walk, longer if you wait for the shuttle bus. security at t-1 is one the bussiest since it has southwest airlines. good news is that lax-phx there are probably many flights you can be placed on later if you miss the connection. it would help if the us air flight goes to the aa termial in termial 4 right next door to tom bradley

chaotix and viguera like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That means it is the same PNR. :)

If the inbound flight is late you'd actually talk to EVA (they are the delivering carrier) to try to fix the ticket but ultimately just speaking with the folks at US is likely to be best.

Is there another flight a bit later with award space open? Booking that now is probably the safest play, even if it does mean a bit of extra time at LAX. And I do believe there was discussion of US moving to T4 to join AA sooner than not, but I don't know the real timeline on that.

I still think that you'll probably make it OK, assuming you're able to make that walk down to the US gates in a reasonable timeframe. But it is a bit of a risk.

chaotix likes this.
  6. chaotix

chaotix Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a later LAX-PHX flight on US with award space, but it gets in too late for us to make our next connection out of PHX.

I knew it would be close, but I wanted some reassurance from people with experience at LAX that it would at least be possible. We'll move quickly and be prepared to shell out for an airport hotel if things don't work out.

Oh, one last question. Does LAX have premium security lanes that actually move any quicker than the normal lanes? We're booked in first for LAX-PHX, so I think we would qualify.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed... some of the US flights to PHX leave from 1 and others from 8. Either way, it's a hike.

Clearing immigration and making it to T1 or T8 and clearing security in 1 hour and 55 minutes is going to be a stretch. I don't know when AA and US plan to consolidate as they did at JFK -- or if they even can at LAX without some crazy reshuffling -- but that, Global Entry and PreCheck will go a long way.

I would still plan to miss the flight though... all it takes is a delay finding a gate or some old people holding up the line to eat up whatever cushion there is. :)

chaotix likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd say that 1:55 is almost guaranteed to make it, but the OP only has 1:25. :eek:

viguera and chaotix like this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen customs at TBIT send everyone arriving from Asia to secondary ag screening. I had to stand in line for over an hour. It was my last foreign trip without GE.

chaotix and viguera like this.