Can I go to Hong Kong and Stop in Tokyo with AA miles?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by merice107, Oct 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to go to Tokyo and Hong Kong on my way to Thailand. Instead of booking a flight from Chicago to Tokyo (50,000 AA miles business class), and then a separate flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong (30,000 AA miles business class) could I book a ticket from Chicago to Hong Kong (55,000 AA miles business class) with a Stopover in Tokyo? I read MMS and his post on North American Gateway Cities but I am still a little confused (not the authors fault but the reader :) :
    http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/02/16/american-airlines-award-travel-4/

The reason I would not want to fly straight to Hong Kong from Chicago is because I would 1) like to visit Tokyo and 2) would like to try JAL in addition to Cathay (which I plan to fly home)

This trip is not for a little while but in my ocd nature, I'm trying to come up with different options and ways to maximize my points.

uggboy likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA does not allow stopovers in intl cities.

So no you won't be able to have a stopover in Tokyo.

Another option is to use OW Explorer award, which is based on miles flown.
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp

According to GC Map an ORD - NRT - HKG - ORD flight is ~15909 miles. Looking at the chart its 130k AA miles for the trip.
    You could play around and add a few more stops to make it closer to the max of 20k miles for a zone 6 ...

If you Can get cheap flights to SFO maybe an SFO - NRT - HKG - SFO would work. That's under 14k miles thus it will be zone 5. 115k AA miles.

3. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait ... how are you getting from HKG to BKK? You'll have to think about that too

5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is a whole other ball game :)

I have some BA Avios that I figured I would use for the Tokyo-Bangkok and then Bangkok-Hong Kong flights. I've read that Avios are best used on intra-Asian flights because of the low to non-existent fuel surcharges/taxes.

I have just been thinking about how I could save some miles by somehow adding some of those intra-Asian flights on as part of the Chicago-Tokyo and Hong Kong-Chicago tickets (or the other way around; I don't care if I go to Tokyo or Hong Kong first).

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    in that case why not do AA for ORD - HKG & NRT - ORD while Avios for the HKG - BKK - NRT route

merice107 and servo46250 like this.
  7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    there's no SFO-NRT flight only HND

edekba likes this.
  8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you checked the YQ? I wouldn't call YQ on JL non-existent even on NRT-BKK.

9. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last I checked, the cheap one ways from Hong Kong to Bangkok were in fact from Macau to Bangkok. Someone in the Far East might confirm that.

10. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like that idea:)

No I have not. This isn't any time soon so I am still in the blueprint stage. I guess I should rephrase to YQs are less on intra-Asia flights than say Chicago-London?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Depends on your carrier for ORD-LHR, could be very high, could be rather low.

Also, I agree with JALPak. Avios on intra-Asia flights can come with some hefty fees, they're not all inexpensive. Keep in mind that you have to count on finding award space on direct flights. If you need to connect in another city (say TYO-HKG-BKK) instead of going direct, the number of Avios and the amount of the fee will increase accordingly.

merice107 likes this.
  12. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems like a perfect use for the Explorer Chart. As long as your have 2 partners, it should work, and you will have 2 partners if you fly JL and CX. Don't forget RJ also flies HKG-BKK.

miles and smiles likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    By the time he'll be booking this award MH, UL and possibly even QR may be options for moving around that area on a explorer award as well.

merice107 and daemon14 like this.
  14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 1 QR flight I've ever taken was HAN-BKK :p

miles and smiles likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm starting to see that we both have an affinity for 5th freedom flights based on your blog post and my obsession with researching them.... lol

daemon14 likes this.