Can I get your input - South France/Italy 13 day itinerary

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Traveling Momma, Oct 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all - we have a trip planned to Italy summer '14 for two adults and one 6 year old. I wondered if I could get restaurant, logistics, and hotel recommendation from the group on the tentative itinerary below?

Itinerary

August 20 Day 1 – Arrive Nice at noon, sightsee, dinner with our family in Menton, early to bed

August 21 Day 2 - Spend the day in and around Nice visiting friends and sightseeing

August 22 Day 3 - Day in Nice or Menton then depart Nice on the overnight ferry to Calvi (on Isle of Corsica) (look up Corsica Ferries, or SNCM)

August 23 and 24, Day 4 and Day 5– Arrive Calvi (http://corsicaexperience.com/places/regions-of-corsica/balagne/ ) spend two days in this area exploring, swimming, etc.. http://www.cntraveler.com/islands/2013/02/corsica/the-haute-balagne

August 25 and 26 Day 6 and Day 7 – Drive to Bonifaccio spend two days in and around here beaches, sights maybe stop along the way in Corte for river, hiking, etc..

August 27 – Overnight ferry to Naples from Porto Vecchio – spend day in Naples ferry to Capri late afternoon

August 28th – Capri sightsee do Grotto spend the day and night in Capri

August 29 and 30th– Ferry back to Amalfi stay in Ravello or Praiano as our base and see Positano and Pompeii

August 31st – Train or drive to Rome

August 31st and Sept 1 - Rome sightseeing

September 2nd Day 13 – Depart Rome for home.

Am I thinking about this correctly? Is there anything that I MUST see that is not on here or vice versa? Do I have the right towns to spend our nights? We want be in a nice town on the water (nice hotels) with great food all walkable. I always try to limit the amount of time in a car driving because hubby cannot sit for long periods of time. He has to lie down or stand up due to a chronic tailbone injury.

Thanks in advance!

uggboy, FetePerfection and MX like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a personal preference, but I have always enjoyed taking the train when possible in Europe. You get to work, relax, or just enjoy the view without having to navigate, and some of them are really nice.

uggboy and MX like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Squeeze in a day to visit Monaco. There are many vans/buses that go from Nice to Monte Carlo.

uggboy and MX like this.
  4. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Agreed. We want to avoid a rental car if possible.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Will do. Absolutely! We have family that live on the water just outside of Nice. They'll hook us up.

uggboy and MX like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to state this but upon reflection w/the limited days that the OP has in Nice, I'm going to suggest OP spending time w/family (have them show you some things!) as well as there are some terrific art museums in/around Nice such as those of Chagall, Matisse, Picasso. We also enjoyed the St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral.

Traveling Momma, uggboy and anileze like this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Intercontinental Rome at the top of the Spanish Steps is very nice and a good location. The Radisson Blu by the Termini Train station in Rome is very cool but a little dated. It is well located however. We stayed at the Radisson on our last night in Rome so we could go across the street and take the train straight to the airport which worked very well. Just avoid the guys that want to help you buy your ticket and carry your bags. Usually if you go through the side entrance (next the Radisson) to the Termini station you can use a kiosk to buy the tickets right by the tracks. If you go in the front doors the ticket helpers may be there to bug you. There is also a VAT tax refund desk at the Rome airport near security so validate and save any big receipts from stores in France and Italy for a tax refund. It's a little hassle but if your at the airport anyway it pays off. If you make department store type purchases they will validate it at the customer service counter usually. Not sure what other stores do. Rome Walks has some great Youtube videos of Rome attractions and how to navigate if you haven't done it before. We also used RomeCabs for a quick 4 hour tour the last time in Rome and really liked it. I think it was like $100 or maybe a little more for my wife and I in exchange for a Mercedes Wagon and a great driver that was a good tour guide. They picked us up at the airport did the tour and dropped us at the hotel.

Traveling Momma and uggboy like this.
  8. Traveling Momma

Status Points:
    Great input folks! Thanks so much.

9. farbster

farbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lots of packing and unpacking. Might not be so pleasant...

The best experience in Rome is the private tour of the Vatican with a Private Sistine Chapel visit. The tour ends at Sistine Chapel and you get the whole room to yourself for about 15-30 minutes. It is worth every penny.

Traveling Momma likes this.