Can i earn points for stay not in my name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by OceanTrotter3, Apr 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm looking to make a reservation for my parents in Singapore. I was wondering if I would be able to earn points for the reservation if the stay is not in my name, but booked using my rewards #?

Thanks!

2. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends what program it is? Make the reservation in your name and account and add your parent as additional guest. And even add a note saying that the parent will arrive before you, so they can check in.

3. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you have an express check-out no one would ever know that you had never arrived.

4. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    With hyatt you can use web check in, and web check out and get your bill via email, and you never have to see anyone a the front desk.

Newscience likes this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes game the system (possibly to the detriment of other elites) but you better hope they dont lose their room key or get accidentally locked out and have to produce an ID to prove they are true occupants of the room.:rolleyes:

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you would not be staying at the same hotel at the same time, but are wondering if you would to earn points because your parents will be staying there, the official answer is "no". You would not be earning any points, even if you booked their stay using your credentials. You could try to cheat as has been suggested, but is earning some loyalty points worth the risk of exposing one's parents to unnecessary complications that could be embarrassing, at the very least, or spoil their stay/vacation?

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may also depend on whether Singapore hotels want to see passports from everyone in the room. I don't know their practice.

I have seen this work in the US where one ID per room is sufficient (just add one parent's name) and where rooms frequently have adequate bedding for three (then you can declare that you have three guests, and your dad won't be pretending to be you).

8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you could get registered as a trip/travel/event planner you might be able to pull this off and get some points out of the deal as well.

9. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My parents live in Singapore, while I live in the States. I'm trying to find a flight back for my Mum's birthday. But if that doesn't happen, I hope to book them into a nice Marriott's hotel for a couple of nights.

I wasn't trying to game the system, just wanted to figure out what is the right course of action. If no point can be gain, it's fine. :)

Newscience and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood. The thing to do is to just book the nice room and enter your membership number, and if you're lucky, the property will make an error and award full credit for the stay to the membership number associated with the reservation. In February, I stayed for a couple of nights at a Marriott property in the DC area for which the Federal government made the stay arrangements and picked up the tab. I checked in, gave my membership number and was told that as a Marriott Gold, they would upgrade me to a room with a better view on a high floor. I thought: cool. Cooler still was that when the points posted, they were not just for the incidentals as I had expected. The property had given me full credit for the two nights as if I had paid for the room!;)

Good luck!

Newscience and OceanTrotter3 like this.
  11. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife booked a Marriott resort for her work. I was several rooms, and she used my rewards and I got all the points. It can happen.

Newscience likes this.
  12. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done it before, even contacted the hotel notifying them that I won't be the one staying and that this is my guest. Worked just fine with IHG and Club Carlson.