Can I do this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Miss Staunton, Sep 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Miss Staunton

Miss Staunton Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a newbie who has lurked here as well as reading as much information as I can get. I need some help. 5 months ago I booked an award ticket on Star Alliance airlines to fly from IAD to SYD with a return from AKL back to IAD. I am now thinking about changing my ticket (if possible) in order to spend a few days in another city - Bangkok. I like my outbound flights and don't think there is anything that I can even change it to. My question is on the return can I do AKL to BKK (for a few days) and then BKK to IAD (via Narita)? I would like to book this as a round trip. Is this even possible? I apologize in advance if I have used the wrong terminology - feel free to gently correct me.

Kalboz, pcarol, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  2. needtoescape

needtoescape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome. you should probably let people know which FF program's miles you used to book your award flight, since it will be that program's rules that will dictate what your options are.

Kalboz, pcarol and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Miss Staunton

Status Points:
    I booked it through United.

Kalboz, pcarol and YULtide like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically It is route able in terms of stop overs & open jaws, however I do not remember if United allows routing to Aussie through SE asia.

I would call United & try, if you have flight/space already verified of course. They might charge you a change fee dependent upon your status and what not but I would try. I think they allow it, but I don't 100% remember.

But another question is how are you doing IAD - SYD.

.... I just tried it & it works. This is not saver fares as i just did a quickie.
    [​IMG]

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Miss Staunton

Status Points:
    I already have the award ticket for IAD/SFO/INC/SYD. From IAD to SFO I am traveling Business class on United and then in SFO I then fly Asiana to INC and hcnage planes to fly into SYD. This is through the Saver awad booked through United.

I do not have miles to burn but in looking further, I see that I can use only 17,500 miles to fly from Auckland to Sydney and perhaps that is what I'll do. ...keep my original outbound (IAD to SYD) and then on my own book AKL to SYD. Then continue with my award booking and do SYD to BKK and then BKK to IAD.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a little note that you can only have one >24 hour stopover on a round-trip, meaning that you certainly can have a few days in BKK, but only if you don't stopover for more than 23:59 in Seoul.

And there are economy flights for under 200 USD from AKL to SYD. Lots of airlines fly that route nonstop, so spending 17500 miles may not be your best redemption value.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just keep your outbound, call into united and change your return flight from AKL to IAD to IAD -> BKK (Stopover) -> IAD (Destination)

Kalboz likes this.