Can I do ORD-SIN on BA using my Chase Companion Pass?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by blase, Mar 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. blase

blase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to check availability on this route on BA.com and it says I cannot use the Companion Pass because BA does not fly this route. Which is silly because I know I can get to LHR from ORD on BA and that BA also operates LHR-SIN.

I am actually ultimately trying to get to Australia, and I know using Avios to get there is much more expensive, mileage-wise, than using AA miles, but I have tons of BA miles (over 700,000) and want to try to salvage as many AA miles as I can. So I was thinking of checking out Singapore for a few days as it is on my must-see list, and then continuing on to Sydney/Melbourne using Qantas.

The companion pass is frustrating me this year. I was able to use last year's relatively easily and felt I got good value out of it (ORD to CDG with stop in London in J), but I can't figure out how to utilize the one I earned in 2011 by the expiry of Oct. 2013. I can't afford another trip to Europe this year in addition to an Australia trip next year (which is my dream 40th birthday trip). So I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate the companion pass in the best way possible, into my itinerary to Australia.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you should be able to use it for this routing (as long as you are on BA metal from ORD-LHR, not AA).

Did you call BA? Might not be easily booked online.

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  3. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have had a lot more luck booking our companion certs when searching segment by segment rather than through the whole trip. This way you can spoon feed the BA engine the exact dates/layovers/etc. that are necessary.

Sounds like the LHR-SIN leg is the one you need to make sure you find BA availability on first -- then go back and find the availability for the ORD-LHR leg. Finally, put it all together in an actual booking.

Euan likes this.
  4. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed for something like this search segment by segment.

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think LHR to SIN are pretty tough to find. However, a suggestion that might help you with your routing and using your Avios.

If you can use the companion tix to get from ORD to SIN what you could do is buy a cheap Jetstar flight from SIN to DRW. Then you can use 9000 Avios to fly domestically from DRW to SYD. It normally costs a bucketload to do the SIN to SYD internationally so it would probably be more economical to do the routing via DRW.

6. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using BA points (pre Avios) when i went to Australia, i did partner airlines, Cathay (stop HKG) and JAL (overnight Toyko) via JFK for 160k miles in J - if you really want to go and have the miles I'd suggest this option
    however that said to use the companion pass it has to be BA metal so you have to go via LHR. I'd opt for the LHR flight to Sydney direct when you talk to agent which now stops over each way in Singapore and the online tool gives you the stopover option for the code share with Qantas (there s/b 3-4 flights a day out of LHR as my UK staff fly this regularly)
    The problem I see is that out of London award availability is pretty horrible generally

7. blase

blase Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if I wanted to do F to go from ORD-LHR on 2/26, then LHR-SIN on 3/4 and then SIN-SYD on 3/7 (availability on all of these right now), would I be able to book that with the companion pass with the two stopovers?

8. blase

blase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone?

9. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only done reward travel with London stopover and not with companion pass, think best to call BA with the flight info from the website (did you try to book the multiple reward segments both w/ and w/o companion ticket?) online as BA has a good tool and see what it tells you? I've luckily had good agents on BA redemptions so far (others haven't fared well) sometimes though I act like this is my first ever redemption or bucket list trip redemption and am so happy for them to help me then act dumb with "I printed this from the website, did I do this right?"
    With the change to Avios I am not sure how they will price it out (others may know) but I'd try for and ask ORD-SYD
    Sorry if not immediate answer but good luck -SYD on of my favorite places!

10. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The BA website seems to only allow you to do a stopover in London, so I'm not sure they'd let you book 2 stops. As philatravelgirl said, call and ask. And post back here with the results so we all know!