Can I do better with this award ticket?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by loungelizard, Mar 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. loungelizard

loungelizard Active Member

Status Points:
    First, I am really still new at this and very, very new using Delta so please go easy on me. Husband and I are looking to go to Australia from the WAS area July 2015 so I started playing with flights and awards for Feb 2015 just to get an idea. Here is what I have so far (btw, I found visiting Bali for a few days lowers the total points needed so added that in our itinerary).

02/05 - DCA - LAX - economy (no business class service)
    02/05 - LAX - DPS - business on VA
    02/10 - DPS - SYD - business on VA
    would love to get from SYD to CNS but am willing to pay for those tickets
    02/18 - CNS - LAX - business on VA
    finally, could not get back to DCA from LAX but can use my Southwest companion pass for that if needed.

This came to 140,000 per person.

Is this right or am I missing something - or can I do better?

Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a good start but your DCA-LAX flight has FC, which--if available in low--would price the same as business class. I suspect you're omitting connections and cadeshare details here. For example, AFAIK either DCA-LAX is operated by AS or you're connecting somewhere because DL is subject to the perimeter rule at DCA. [Could there be a DL nonstop on Saturday???] Similarly, VA doesn't operate LAX-DPS, so that I'd be curious about what the schedule and connections look like.

SYD-CNS shouldn't be that hard, especially if you're willing to accept coach or take a connection through Brisbane or elsewhere.

The stopover at DPS might be making these award tickets cheaper because of better availability on the split dates. [I've done some NRT stopovers for a few days because of this.] DL allows one stopover and one open jaw on an award ticket, so this isn't an issue, but I'm surprised that you're allowed to route to Australia through Asia on VA. I've also heard that Virgin is dropping some HKG or SIN flights to Australia, so be sure you won't be caught in this schedule change, assuming that the DPS-SYD sector isn't nonstop.

Finally, are you sure this will actually price out and ticket correctly? You seem to have two open jaws, which should not be allowed. I'd expect at least an additional 25,000 miles for a coach RT DCA-LAX for your one way coach segment.

3. loungelizard

loungelizard Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for your reply - it does help me think things through a bit better. You are correct that I left things out... here is what is missing...

DCA - DTW - LAX (no first saver available)
    LAX - SYD - DPS - all on VA business
    DPS - SYD - yes, backtracking on VA business
    CNS - BNE - LAX - both flights VA business

When I tried adding LAX to WAS (any of the three are fine), it would price out a lot higher - even in economy. If I remove DPS I can get us to Australia and back for 160,000 rather than the 140,000 p/p. I do believe I got the DPS tip from one of the blogs I've read; something about a possible mistake on Delta's part. I did input all these in as a multi-city award and it came back for the 280,000 points for both of us but I didn't push the continue button to really book it. I was hoping to add one of the other missing legs but any which way I try increases the points needed a lot! I really don't mind buying the SYD to CNS part. I was also thinking that the DCA - LAX could possibly be considered a free one-way? and that's why it is okay in the mix? I just don't know enough to say.