Can I do better (SPG Amex vs CSP)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by peteynice, Feb 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. peteynice

peteynice Active Member

Status Points:
    I am reviewing my current credit card situation and trying to see if I can do better. I am not looking to do an AoR, just a better daily mix.

Where I live: Atlanta
    What I spend: $20k/yr no significant category
    Where I go (mainly Delta, never enough to get status)
    6 Domestic
    2 International

What I have:
    SPG Amex ($15k/yr) Cash & Points is sweet and I like the Delta transfer option even if Skymiles tend to be a poor currency
    CapOne VentureOne ($5k) For places that don't take Amex and for International stuff
    Delta Amex Never use but I check a bag at least three times a year on Delta so this is a no brainer.

So I have 15k Starpoints and 6,250 Venture Points a year.

Just based on the category spend plus 7% bonus I would end up with roughly 31k UR points if I got a CSP. Is that worth an extra $30 in annual fees? Yes I could transfer UR points to KE and redeem on Delta but if I don't fly on my Skymiles account I don't get the Delta Amex perks (right?). The hotel redemption options don't look as attractive as SPG but it is hard to say really.

So, advice? Is my current combo the best bang for spend or is there something else I should consider?

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    6250/year in venture points is only $62.50.

31,000 Chase UR points are at the very least, $310.00 a year. So is it worth the $30 annual fee? I would say so. But I don't get where you get $30.

VentureOne is a NAF card from my understanding? Unless you're talking about replacing your SPG & C1 w/the CSP.

3. peteynice

peteynice Active Member

Status Points:
    If I got the CSP I would cancel the SPG. The annual fee difference is currently $30. Yes, if I got the CSP I would cancel both cards since I wouldn't spend enough to get the value of the AF on both the SPG and the CSP. I only have the C1 because of the 0% Forex which the CSP also has.

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well ... #1 I wouldnt cancel any credit card ... I would try to downgrade the SPG to something w/NAF.

... Hmm if I had to pick between SPG or CSP only I think I would do SPG only because I stay at SPG at least 20/nights a year on work. Without that ... I might be more inclined to get CSP but only if I paired it w/the Chase Freedom and then use the UR points at Hyatt/UA.

pilotb757 likes this.
  5. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A tough one for me, both SPG and CSP are good cards to put spend on.

6. travelpye

travelpye Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have also thought of closing the SPG later this year, or rather seeing if AM EX will let me "trade" the SPG for a card yielding either MR or cash back. If that is possible, perhaps OP might want to consider that? It would seem better to exchange it for a card that might offer the OP more value than outright close it.

Regarding the CSP I want to mention that there was/is ongoing discussion on the MYFICO and Flyertalk forums that CHASE has targeted some with a $300 (30,000 UR) sign up bonus. If sending out the targeted offer is a precursor to a wider offer, such as I think they had last spring, that could be worth OP's consideration. As a no fee card, that could be a "keeper" for OP and then a bit later on OP could add the CSP and get access to UR transfers to UA, PC, Hilton, etc.? OP might want to keep an eye out for any upcoming Freedom offers, too, as OP is weighing options.