Can I choose a coach leg on business saver award?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wings, Feb 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wings
    Original Member

Wings Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I booked a United Business Saver Ticket to burn up my Hilton points.

One of the legs is IST-SIN-MLE
    There is a coach seat available for the non-stop IST-MLE

Can I switch to this segment even though I booked a business saver (would there be a fee?) If down the road a business saver open could I switch to that?

Thanks!

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are trying to do two things for which you may incur a fee unless you do it 21 days or more before departure (1a below) or are a Plat, 1K or GS.
    You'd like to delete a connection (IST-SIN-MLE to IST-MLE). Here are the rules:
    (1a) Adding, changing or deleting a connection, 21 days or more prior to departure: NO FEE
    (1b) Adding, changing or deleting a connection, less than 21 days prior to departure: Non-elites: $75; Silvers: $50; Golds: $25; Plats, 1K, GS: No fee

You'd also like to change the cabin (business to coach and waitlist in business for IST-MLE):
    (2) Changing the cabin, award type, or changing a flight to a different airline, regardless of departure date(3) Non-elites: $75; Silvers: $50; Golds: $25; Plats, 1K, GS: No fee

As for switching to a business saver, there is a rule for that as well:
    In short, you may not pay any fee if (a) you are one of the very top elites or (b) your departure is 21 days or more away and you do not change the cabin. The latter is doable. If a saver economy is available (this is unclear in your post), you would just redeem for a saver business but be confirmed in saver economy for IST-MLE and tell UA that what you really want is a saver business for IST-MLE but it is not available. You should be wailisted in saver business. Because your intent is to delete a connection 21+ days before departure while keeping the same cabin, they should charge you nothing, but it would be best do to it on the phone with a CSR.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not possible to waitlist for an award other than on UA metal; the TK/SQ metal here wouldn't work.

Otherwise I agree that it is absolutely possible and best handled with an agent rather than trying online. I do not, however, believe that there would be a charge as described by #2 above. The OP would be keeping a business award but booking as a voluntary downgrade in the lower cabin. I believe that fee is associated with changing the award type more than the booked cabin on any individual segment. As the award would still be a business class award that charge would not be incurred.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Did not know how the OP was getting around other than s/he'd "booked a United Business Saver Ticket".

If the underlined part is true, then I agree. However, it was unclear how the OP intended to handle the switch, hence the work around I described. S/he had to make sure that s/he booked saver business and be confirmed in saver economy, so that s/he'd be waitlisted in saver business -- no charge. But, importantly, as per the rule, they have to be the same type of award (saver econ - saver business or standard econ - standard business), unless UA is willing to bend that rule or it is different for the carrier on which s/he intends to do this.