Can I charge a restaurant meal to my portfolio and earn points

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by WilliamQ, Jun 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be staying at the Holiday Atrium end of the month and should be dining at the Melting Pot Cafe.
    1. Can I charge the meal to my room and earn IHG points for it (like SPG)?
    2. Does IHG have discount programs with its hotel restaurants?
    3. If my CC has a current discount offer / promotion, can I still
      • charge the meal to the room
      • get the discount
      • get the points
    Thanks!

uggboy likes this.
  2. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can charge the meal to your room and earn points, as long as you stay at the hotel.

uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup, i believe you can earn points if you charge it to the room, I am not aware of any IHG discount restaurant programmes, but if you use your credit card to pay, it should not impact the point posting as the credit card discount is applied at the restaurant, and what is charged to the room will be the discounted charge

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    the dinner buffet at Melting Pot Cafe should be worth it as i think one of the credit cards has a buy one-get-one-free deal

IDGflygirl and WilliamQ like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Checked into the Holiday Inn Atrium. I booked a Queen Bed Superior room but was upgraded to the Executive room. My wife wanted to visit the lounge and being on the Executive floor, I thought we have access but card key would not open the door although it got us to the lounge floor.
    Upon checking with the FD, we were informed that I had actually been given 2 level upgrades to Executive room but no Executive lounge access.

That said, this stay is to celebrate my 9th anniversary with my wife and the Customer Experience Team did a wonderful job in making this a truly wonderful stay.
    We were given a nice cake and a bottle of wine for this special occasion.

Anticipating my dinner at the Melting Pot Café.....

IDGflygirl and pointshogger like this.
  7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats, the team was wonderful in accomodating my requests too, which was confirmed weeks before arrival, we wanted to celebrate 2 family member's belated birthdays, and the hotel upgraded both our award rooms to the executive floor

8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The dinner at the Melting Pot Cafe was nice for us as it was not too crowded.
    It was in fact barely ½ full.
    We had a long dinner, and the serving staff was very attentive in the refills and clearing of plates.
    The spread was neither great nor terrible.
    As this is a local stay, we enjoyed the "luxury" of dining in-house and after the dinner, just casually make our way back to the room.
    When the time came to leave the restaurant, I had a pleasant surprise.
    It appears that Plat IHG members get 25% discount but all hotel guest gets 50% discount off the meal if charged to the room.
    Great perk I would say.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  9. BBxCoreB

BBxCoreB New Member

Status Points:
    Hi William, I am also a IHG Plat and is thinking abt booking the atrium. Wondering did they provide you breakfast vouchers or your rate has breakfast in it?

in response to your original post, yes, as long you are a staying guest, you can charge ur restaurant meals and also any spa treatments too!

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked a Superior Room and was given a "double upgrade" to the Executive Room but no Lounge access. The rate I booked did not include breakfast. My wife and I hit the gym in the morning before heading to Great World City (10 minutes walk) for an early lunch instead. We were given a 4pm checkout.

11. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    my experiences was a little difference, i was twice upgraded to the Executive floor and offered Lounge and breakfast as part of the Executive floor privileges, though i must add that i corresponded with the hotel on both occasions well before each stay to check as they were to celebrate significant birthdays in the family, so they were generous in the offerings.

Perhaps best to contact the hotel beforehand to check what the privileges would be, if you get an upgrade to the Executive floor.

12. BBxCoreB

BBxCoreB New Member

Status Points:
    I wrote in to request for plat upgrade and was told it was subjected to availability. Booked a deluxe room, hoping for a suite however most likely an executive room.

Will post after my stay.