Can I book an open-jaw 2-4-1 online?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by 25years, Feb 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. 25years
    Original Member

25years Silver Member

Status Points:
    Planing to use my 2-4-1 to fly BA metal from IAD to EDI (via LHR). Then, from EDI drive to ABZ. Then fly ABZ with a stop at LHR. Then, LHR to IAD. I can't find a way to book this using Avios 2-4-1 on-line. Is it possible, or should I call and hope I am not charged an extra fee?

2. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    You cannot book that itinerary on line. You will have to telephone. The policy is that in such instances you will pay the offline service fee.

3. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do consider taking the train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen if you're travelling city-centre to city-centre and not planning on stopping off in between; it's one of the most scenic train routes I've taken, much less hassle than arranging an automatic vehicle, hiring and returning a car at a depot and especially so if you're not used to driving in the UK.

www.scotrail.co.uk/

Do book in advance, though.

4. 25years
    Original Member

25years Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'd love the train ride, but we intentionally want to stop an enjoy the Scottish Countryside on the way.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In parts of Europe, car rental agencies will deliver your car to a central hotel for free during regular business hours. Of course, you must be ready to leave then so that you do not incur hotel valet parking charges while you pack and check out. It can be a nice convenience and worth a small fee. Alternatively, check whether your large hotel or one nearby has a car rental desk in the lobby.

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did learn that the only thing you cannot do is an open jaw if the cities are in two different zones. We were mistakenly ticketed PHL to Moscow and Copenhagen to NY (after a cruise connecting the two). When better flights came up and we wanted to change, we were on hold forever before the agent explained they had made a mistake by booking us and would let it stand, but we could not change it.

In the end, the advent of Avios made it doable for us, doing our 2-4-1 from NY to LHR and then intra-European one-ways LHR to DME and CPH to LHR.

7. 25years
    Original Member

25years Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called BA's executive phone number today and was able to book the open-jaw UK trip without paying any service fee. There was no fee because the open-jaw booking could not be done on-line.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.