Can I book 2 overlapping awards?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by NYC_Gal, Oct 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I issue 4 CX 1-way awards with same destination but different time? E.g, 11/1 outbound JFK - HKG, 11/10 JFK-YYZ-HKG; then 11/15 inbound HKG- JFK, and 11/20 same inbound route? I know AA will auto-cancel multi awards on the same day going to same city. But I"m not sure with the above sample.

I would love to secure the awards but my dates are not final (and not that flexible).

2. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since date and time changes are permitted, as long as O&D remain the same, you should plan to book a single outbound and inbound date, IMHO. How would you explain to the AAgent what you are proposing above (since you have to call to book this award)?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's fine if you can guarantee that the inventory will still be there. But you cannot. I say book what you've got when you find the inventory. There is nothing at all wrong with booking the flights as the OP suggests.

As for explaining it to the agent, tell them that you're flying back on another carrier if they ask. Or anything else you want. It is none of their business. You aren't violating fare rules or anything.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont' think AAgent cares. I'm worried that CX machine will auto-cancel if they see 2 outbound to same location. I'm going there for adoption, and I will not know the final dates until about 2-3 weeks out. At this point, I only know an approximate time frame. So I would love to have 2 sets of RT flights issued.

Anyways, I'll definitely call AA to ask. Just want to be prepared. :)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt this will be an issue. I've seen similar if you're on the same flight twice but not just because you've got similar reservations a few days apart.

6. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even if the CX auto cancelled one reservation, you would still be left with the other. They aren't going to cancel both.

Also, the dates of your reservation are far enough apart so that the software is not going to recognize them as duplicates.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not true in all situations. I've had multiple reservations wiped out by the system without rhyme or reason.