Can I ask for my upgrade miles back?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by riverchica, Jun 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a physician and I've volunteered to help ill passengers on several flights in the past. Apart from a thank you card from a patient's husband, I've never received any sort of compensation or accommodation. And I've never asked.

But I'm wondering if I could ask for my upgrade miles back from a Continental flight last week. I used 15,000 miles/$75 to upgrade to first on a red-eye flight. I had come off a 30-hour ICU shift and was headed straight to a conference after the flight so the red-eye was my only chance to catch some sleep. Instead, I spent almost the entirety of the flight attending to two(!) ill passengers.

Is it reasonable to ask for my miles back? Have other docs gotten some sort of accommodation for helping out?

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if they will give the miles back, but certainly doesn't hurt to ask them.

3. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can certainly write CO and request it but I wouldn't hold my breath. UA on the other hand has always been most generous with providing goodwill gestures when I've been involved with an ill pax. I've also had pursers give me skykits.

4. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    mht_flyer and sobore like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I'm even registered as a doctor with Continental. Are there other airlines that offer similar bonuses?
    I'll e-mail Continental today and let you guys know what I hear.

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Luck!

8. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell the whole story , and also add -- if you did not help , maybe they would have to have made an unscheduled stop and that would cost them 1000's of dollars and ill will -- not only are you entitled ( earned it!!-- you do not work for the airline!!!--hey they charge for bags , aisle seats etc )to your $75.00 but also bonus miles ---- i just got today 10,000 from amex because i complained ,---good luck

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the FA's, especially the lead FA works well with you, *and* you help them fill out the paperwork, you could get 12,500 as a thank-you. It doesn't happen all the time, and you shouldn't ask for it (payment for services rendered may change the provider - pt relationship in a way you don't like). I too volunteer to assist and out of all the times, I've gotten bottles of wine (given to nice FA's at the connection point), little toys, airplanes, clocks, a handfull of KLM houses, and the like. I never ask for any of it and I never expect it. I'm just helping somebody out and maybe saving a needless divert... which is a huge benefit to me and everyone aboard... I want to see Iceland or Gander on my own terms.:)
    The last trip from LHR to IAH, I spent 4 hours on the floor with a pt. and then about 40 minutes with the documentation. As a thank-you CO provided 12,500. I appreciated the gesture, but would never complain if it didn't appear.

That LH "doctor on board" program looks interesting. Unfortunately, all Doctors are not equal. If I was urgent, I'd want an ER Doc, and an experienced paramedic. The Doc has the knowledge and treatment advantage. The medic as the know-how in low-equipment situations. I love my dermatologist but the last time she participated in a code let alone ran one was 35 years ago.

10. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Geo - You gave me something very worthwhile to think about. While I was busy pondering, I received a letter from Continental thanking me for my assistance and notifying me that they will deposit 15,000 miles in my account.

Thanks, Continental! It's just nice to be recognized for my time.

Golfingboy, adambadam, Geo and 3 others like this.
  11. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is nice and something you would prefer to not have to request. Good job Continental!

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    From past experiences posted on FT, AC offers MDs (and RNs) offering inflight medical assistance something like 20K EQMs. I don't think it is outrageous for you to request your upgrade miles back. We know you did what any trained professional would do when their help is needed under emergency circumstances, but if that impacts on you in some way (as not benefiting from your paid upgrade), some off-set is only natural to be given.

13. yah its nice to think AC does this... however its NOT automatic and very hit and miss like everything on Air Canada. :(

14. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are my benefits for being a lawyer! :)

15. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I'm biting my tongue here!

goalie likes this.