Can I ask airline to combine 2 separate itineraries?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by r0m8470, Jun 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I have a portion of an award flight - from JFK to ZRH, that me and my wife will fly next month. We do need to depart from AUS to JFK, so we plan on buying separate tickets for the AUS to JFK segments.

After we do that, can I call the airline to combine both? It's convenient not having to take out our luggage and re-enter security. We do have pre-check which is good, but just want to avoid the luggage check etc if we can.

Our other option is to use our SW RR points and have my wife fly on companion ticket, but SW does not fly to JFK, and we are trying to avoid having to ride a cab from either LGA or EWR.

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the answer, but if you show them the JFK - ZRH tickets at check in in AUS they should be able to check your bags through. This generally works as long as the airlines have interline agreements. It will not work for SW to another airline.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both itineraries are with the same airline - so hopefully this will work then ... ?

4. shelvie1

shelvie1 New Member

Status Points:
    We had a Delta ticket to Madrid and a ticket on a Portuguese airline to Lisbon and when we checked in, the agent was able to book our luggage through. No problem and the luggage got there!

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is by far the easiest way to handle a situation like the OP's. It is, in fact, straightforward when dealing with the same airline. However, it does also work even for different airlines if there is an interline agreement. I was able to have my baggage put through from CSX to SGN for an itinerary that started at CSX to HKG on CX and then HKG to SGN on UA. When checking in at CSX, I informed the agent that I had a connection at HKG for SGN on UA and she said she could put the baggage through to SGN if I could provide her with the UA flight info. It was done and it worked.