Can flight attendants tell you what to wear?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by sobore, Jun 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2297293/

The crew on a U.S. Airways flight out of San Francisco demanded that a passenger pull up his low-slung pants on Wednesday before takeoff—because they exposed his underwear. When the passenger refused and reportedly turned belligerent, the captain conducted a citizen's arrest and called the police. Can a flight attendant tell you what to wear?

In most cases, yes. All major airlines have granted their flight crews the authority to ask a passenger to cover up or leave the plane. But they offer very little guidance as to what sorts of attire are unacceptable. Some airlines have no written dress code at all. Others, like American Airlines, are vague about it, forbidding clothing "that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers." (They do explicitly ban bare feet.) So there's really no way of knowing if your low-slung pants, spaghetti-strap top, or miniskirt are going to get you bounced from your flight. The FAA has no rules or regulations regarding passenger garb.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    this was posted on FT and I replied on there, but it's been closed since due to some reason.

when they allow THIS (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/crime/detail?entry_id=91446) to happen all the time, then I find it unacceptable that there is such a double standard.

that one was ALSO closed on FT. and I can't ask why it was closed, or else they'll ban me again.

3. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that people should exercise some common sense when dressing for air travel, or any public outing. ;)

mht_flyer, misman, Horse and 2 others like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    the sad thing is others have said he is a CP and he does it often.

Horse and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown with him on a FLL- PHX route. Actually wished he was my seat mate as I'm sure he would have been fascinating to talk with :) but he was 2 rows back in F from me.

7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking about this as it was on the news this morning. Keep in mind that I'm a foddy-duddy that :rolleyes: at both forms of dress.

In the event of an emergency, the low-slung pants would be much more restricting than the 2-piece outfit. I recall discussions on TOBB about FAs requesting that passengers keep their shoes on during take-off/landing in the event of an emergency, and could see this request being in the same vein.

Agree 100%

Horse likes this.
  8. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The cross-dressing incident made our local 6PM news last night. I'm not sure why it is even considered news. You see stuff like that in West Hollywood every day! :D

sobore likes this.
  9. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the articles I read about that fella have him saying he'd been, on occasion, asked to put on pants and/or a shirt on US flights and that he was always happy to comply. I'm still not clear on what Mr Baggy Pants' demeanor was when asked to pull up his pants but I think that is what the whole issue comes down to. People do unexpected stuff on airplanes all the time; their manner of dress is just the tip of the iceberg. It's their reaction to a staff/crew request that determines how the situation will play out.

There was an episode of Airline where a fella on Southwest was wearing a kilt and nothing underneath; he became quite belligerent when asked to put something on underneath, and wasn't allowed to fly till he agreed to do so.

Personally I would prefer that everyone look presentable on a plane, but Mr Baggy Pants and Mr Cross Dresser are just two of the dozens of fashion infractions I've seen, and there won't ever be a time when everyone always dresses and behaves nicely, so I just try not to let stuff like that get to me. I do think if someone is really extreme in any direction, that the crew is within their right to politely ask that person to correct the issue.

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do not want people going natural on our airline seats. :eek:

11. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, I can't imagine sitting on an airline seat in that outfit. (or now realizing that the person sitting in the seat before me may have been in the outfit!)

[​IMG]

12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I know who the Southwest 'open mic' pilot was talking about!

13. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, just wow.