Can Delta take my Rollover EQMs away??

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by gpapadop, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gpapadop
    Original Member

gpapadop Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finished 2010 with about 39k EQMs. So, I maintained my Silver Status and started 2011 with about 14k EQMs. Then in mid January 2011 I was gifted Gold Status(till Feb 2012) from a Diamond. My rationale was to take my 14k EQMs, get the 25 EQMs from the Amex Platinum promo (done) and adding some of my flights easily maintain Gold status until Feb 2013. Also, I was going to keep my eyes open and make a run for Platinum this year if I felt like it. Well, at some point I noticed my 14k EQMs were just gone!! I contacted Delta on Facebook and here is the reply below.

Can DL do this? I feel screwed (again) by them and this may be the last straw! I just got my Gold package and I see no wording to what this agent is saying. Was there a mistake? How do you advise me to handle this? ANY advice is appreciated, thank you!

Thank you for your Facebook inquiry. We appreciate your comments.

Our records show you received a complimentary status change to Gold Medallion for 2011. As a result of the promotion receiving the higher medallion status, the MQMs over the amount you earned were removed.

Mr. XXXXXXXXX, thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to your concern. We very much appreciate your Medallion loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon.

Sincerely,

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Online Customer Support Desk
    http://www.delta.com

Bikeguy likes this.
  2. DisneyDude
    Original Member

DisneyDude Active Member

Status Points:
    Let us face it, unless it is specifically spelled out otherwise in the published T&Cs, DL can do what they like. Of course it is your perogative to not like what they do and take your business elsewhere.

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rollover is of MQMs above the qualification requirements of your medallion level. Since you hit gold for 2011 (regardless of how) you're entitled to roll over MQMs beyond 50k (which you don't have). Delta could certainly be more clear with explaining this, and seems to thrive on imprecise communication. If you know what you're getting into it can be reasonable, but if not it can be a kick in the pants.

DYKWIA and Gargoyle like this.
  4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    You were gifted a higher status and only miles above what medallion level you hold will rollover.

Skyvillager likes this.
  5. jb831
    Original Member

jb831 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's an interesting(ly dubious) situation, that a few on FT have also found themselves in. The OP wasn't gifted Gold until January though -- so should he not be able to keep his rollover MQMs? From Delta.com

"You earned them, so why not keep them from year to year? In an airline first, any MQMs earned above your Medallion qualification level at the end of the year will automatically roll over to your MQM balance for status qualification the following year."

At the end of 2010, he had 39K MQMs -- 14K were rolled over. Then he was gifted Gold in January 2011, and Delta went into his account and took the 14K. This is apparently a well-known, internal policy... but unfortunately for us, it isn't published anywhere publicly. [​IMG]

Bikeguy likes this.
  6. gpapadop
    Original Member

gpapadop Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I wasn't busy with taxes I would fight this with a letter or two...But screw them. I sure am not going for Platinum now. You see the perverse results of all this?....I thought MQMs were instituted to generate more business!!! As a loyal NW flyer I can only take so much crap!!

Bikeguy likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, this is reasonable and consistent on the part of DL. If you had been status matched to Gold, you would still need 75K MQMs to get Plat. This doesn't seem very different to me.

8. gpapadop
    Original Member

gpapadop Silver Member

Status Points:
    >>>>>>>If you had been status matched to Gold, you would still need 75K MQMs to get Plat

I agree. A normal person would count on the ROLLOVER MQMs, isn't that reasonable as it has been touted all along. If I knew that the Rollover miles can be taken away like this I would have made my strategy. Instead, DL can kiss my *ss for giving them more money to get to Platinum. It is not just a sleazy confiscatory move, it is also bad business.
    And just as I was deciding to go from Silver to Gold and thinking about Platinum as in the good old NWA days...Oh, how I miss NWA!! Thank you for allowing me to vent[​IMG]

9. Bikeguy
    Original Member

Bikeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    But if you are at 39K in 2011, you'd never want a Gold gift that will cost you 14k. You'd fly the extra 11K and lock in the status for 2 years. At least I would. And possibly go over the 50K and get rollover EQMs for 2012.

Most of my flying dollars now go to other carriers, despite being a hub captive in DTW. I was a NW plat for 3 or 4 years before the merger. And it's little things like this, along with ridiculous pricing from DTW, that have driven me away.

10. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Bikeguy. The gift of GOLD status should have nothing to do with how many MQMs you're allowed to have. Isn't the gift of Gold partly designed to have that person want to requalify, fly Delta more often and experience the wonderful world of GOLD status?!