Can certain usernames be blocked?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by The Missy, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't want to use the exact same handle as I have at FT, but I don't particularly want anyone else to be able to use it either. Can it be blocked administratively? Should I just register it as a dupe handle?

kiwi likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This is a good question, and one we've debated for a bit. Our initial thought was that all handles are up for grabs. We've discussed how to administer the issue you bring up, but haven't arrived at a final answer. We'll try to get an answer back to you shortly.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too changed my username from the other place, but not as worried. Still a valid concern, though.

4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought this was going to answer my question which is almost the same. Instead of followed, can certain users be blocked? Meaning can I "hide" someone so I don't see their posts? Just thinking ahead....

dgreen12 and ben regelshore like this.
  5. aerodynamik
    Original Member

aerodynamik Active Member

Status Points:
    Not sure this is okay with the administrators of this site, but couldn't you just register with your FT handle in addition and don't use it...

6. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had asked someone about this earlier today, but I wound up using the same handle as I have on FT. Do you think that matters at all?

servus likes this.
  7. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did mention the possibility of creating a dupe handle. But I figured I'd see if the admins could handle it before I did. It doesn't seem to violate the TOS, but I'm not sure its an example I'd like to lead by.

8. At VFT it's like this: As long as they aren't used for inappropriate actions, we don't take action against dupe handles. However, we "discourage" their use by banning them in out TOS. Hence, as soon as we see that dupe handles are used to spy on or mislead users (or spam the site), we can and will take action with a simple reference to our TOS.

cockpitvisit, rehoult and Mikel like this.
  9. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds very similar to our approach here.

Multiple accounts are not disallowed on MilePoint. But if it's discovered they're being used in an inappropriate manner, the Hand of Rand(y) could come down and take action.

10. aerodynamik
    Original Member

aerodynamik Active Member

Status Points:
    Sorry [​IMG] I really missed to read that part. Must be the different fonts here :)

11. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, well then I just took matters into my own Hand(y).

Tim likes this.
  12. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    good. your name is now safe.[​IMG]

13. MileageAddict
    Original Member

MileageAddict Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm using the same handle as I didn't want anyone to confuse me with someone else who happened to hijack the same handle here.

14. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too. If I use a different handle than my name, doubt if I would be able to remember it.

15. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also using the same handle as at FT. I'm just getting too old and sloppy to keep tabs on too much newness.

However, I do like the idea of being able to block out someone's posts. Can't think of when I've wanted that on FB, but there are a few on FT I'd consider if it was allowed. Of course, the idea for here is the sort of snarky posting that goes on at FT won't be happening here. If that holds, then this won't be necessary. Probably.

16. To make things simpler, I'm the same here as there... though I won't get confused with your new handle :)

17. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too, see no reason to change the nick. I use it on Lonely Planet boards as well, it's sort of my travel-related nick.

Now, how about having "status points" convert on a 1-1 basis into the FF program of my choice?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mechteach
    Original Member

mechteach Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here, but I actually use the same user id for other, non-travel boards as well. It might make me more traceable, but it also helps in recognizing fellow FTers on things like disboards, consumerist, etc., when others do the same thing.

Chamonix likes this.
  19. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Over the next few months as we move from Beta to our true launch, we will have complete ignore system which we believe will be the most unique and comprehensive of any current travel community. We are huge champions to protecting our members. As well, we hope to ferret out the snarkiness.

magic111 and ben regelshore like this.
  20. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a bit of a pain when people have different usernames all over the place. When you meet them in person you have to figure out who they are on various fora.

BTW mechteach, GO STEELERS!!

lisamcgu likes this.
  21. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, yosithezet, remembering, or trying to remember even one name and one handle is enough for me. Sorting out another handle would put me over the top.

P.S. Missy, you will always be Missy to me, now matter what handle you choose. Sometimes I have to think to remember your real name. ;-)

dhammer53 likes this.
  22. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

Ditto.

While Cholula isn't my actual name it might as well be. At least on the Internet as I use it on several sites.

And I even answer the phone that way on occasion. [​IMG]

lisamcgu likes this.
  23. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I always dream of you as Cholua and think of you as I shake the sauce on my eggs. :)

jean9nine likes this.
  24. iluv2fly
    Original Member

iluv2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is something seriously not right about the above sentence. [​IMG]

25. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I have used the same handle here as I do on FT it was a rather academic matter for me. Nobody in his right mind would want anyone to think he is me.

lisamcgu, Mr.Flyer and cockpitvisit like this.