Can buy UA miles 20 percent discount

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Jessfish, Aug 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jessfish

Jessfish Active Member

Status Points:
    UA sent me an email to buy miles for a 20 percent discount. It is $28.00 per 1000 miles. Is this a good deal? Expires Aug 27.

Thanks.

HaveMilesWillTravel and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's 2.8 cents per mile (we abbreviate that as CPM). Typical redemption rates that people seem to get for domestic flights are 1 cent per mile, but international business class I go for around 2 cents per mile, so as a straight out purchase I personally wouldn't consider 2.8 cpm very good.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't pay a whole lot of attention to mileage purchase offers, but isn't US Airways typically the way to go for *A miles due to their frequent 100% bonus offers? (unless of course you just need to top off your account a bit to reach an award level).

Another way to look at this offer: if you wanted to buy 25k miles for a domestic award, it would cost you $700. In most cases you would be better off buying a revenue ticket as it would be cheaper than $700 (figure in the value of RDMs and EQMs earned on the ticket as well). But if you already have 24k miles in your account, then paying $28 for the missing 1k RDM might be the way to go.