Can anyone suggest a way to buy/sell AA miles? (details inside)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by blueearth, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. blueearth

blueearth New Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are trying to extend our honeymoon to Europe - unfortunately we're running into some problems with our AA rewards. There are no seats available (yay Olympics in London in July) for when we want to come back to the US. One thing we can do is try to get more rewards miles. I know I can buy up to 40k miles per year, and I can transfer in 25k. What I don't know is how to do this safely unless it's someone I know.

Can anyone suggest avenues (safe) via which I can explore obtaining more miles?

Thanks very much for your time.

Blueearth

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP blueearth. It might be easier to provide some advice if you let us know exactly how many miles you need.

Have you already applied for and received some of the various offered AA credit cards with sign on bonuses?

If you are asking for someone to point you in a direction where you could pay someone to give you miles through the transfer option, I'd caution you against doing that. AA has rules about buying and selling miles, and if you are caught doing so they can (and have, on many many occasions) suspend your account or even close it entirely. Feel free to purchase your max amount of miles, or to ask a friend/family member/coworker to donate miles to your account through transfers. Paying someone to do so is dangerous, particularly since AA does actively look at sites like MilePoint, Flyertalk, Craigslist, and eBay for those who are selling and buying AA upgrades and miles.

sobore likes this.
  3. blueearth

blueearth New Member

Status Points:
    I would of course never do anything to violate AA's rules. We need a total of 43k miles. If we can get 10-20k through transfers we'll buy the rest.

Can you suggest AA credit cards with sign on bonuses?

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LINK.

These three offer bonuses of 25-35K, which means you'd only have to buy 10-20K miles. Perhaps you can apply and your new wife as well, and then she can transfer her CC bonus miles into your account for the award.

Here's the Citibank link to some cards as well: LINK.

sobore likes this.
  5. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure this is the best offer currently available: www.citi.com/travel

rharrigill and DestinationDavid like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hadn't seen that one, an additional 5K on the best offer on any of the other pages. It'll help.

7. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw the 40K offer advertised on TV.

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you happen to have miles in other programs, I've had luck transferring miles with points.com. It's cheaper than buying outright, and it may help if you have an odd clump you need.

9. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
  11. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend of yours uses his miles to get you a ticket and you buy him an iPad? Gifts are gifts.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gifts aren't gifts when they are given in exchange for something. That's bartering, which is also covered and prohibited by AA's T&Cs. :D

It would be hard for AA to know if it's just between friends without the use of a sale site like Craiglist or eBay, though posting it on MP makes it a bit more public. Thank God for internet handles, eh? :)

foxberg likes this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I also remembered this site: LINK.

I believe it is allowed by AA (see here: LINK) though there are fees involved and you would need some other type of loyalty currency (UA miles? HHonors?) to trade.

14. blueearth

blueearth New Member

Status Points:
    A total of 25,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles may be redeemed for round-trip coach class Continental U.S. / Canada MileSAAverSM awards (fees of up to $10 apply). For more information on AAdvantage® award redemption please see Redeem Miles at www.aa.com/aadvantage.

This is what I found in the small print for the first link. Can I interpret this to mean that I can't use my miles for international travel?

15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, that is just outlining that the standard domestic award ticket costs 25K, i.e. setting expectations for the customer. Once you receive the miles you can use them for whatever you wish.

16. blueearth

blueearth New Member

Status Points:
    Is this allowed by AA's rules though? I don't want to endanger my trip by using something that is not allowed.

17. blueearth

blueearth New Member

Status Points:
    Another thing in the fine print says that we need 8-10 weeks before miles show up in my account. Unfortunately we are leaving early June.

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Points.com is allowed by AA.com, I believe I linked to the site earlier this AM with another link to AA's website showing it's allowed.

You're headed to Europe? Are you certain there are award seats available for the time period you want? Booking award tickets to Europe less than 2 months out during peak season and the Olympics will be difficult.

If you need immediate miles, purchasing, transfering, or actually flying on AA are probably quickest.

19. blueearth

blueearth New Member

Status Points:

According to AA as of yesterday the 60k mile seats are available. We want to lock this down as quickly as possible though.

20. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that AA will hold award reservations for five days without ticketing and will allow you to hold different reservations for similar routes as long as they're on different days. I did this when booking Asia awards, then bought a few miles directly from AA that I needed to top off the account. You might want to grab those seats now, while you're figuring out how to get the extra miles you need.

21. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are all undercover :cool:

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

Before you start trying to jump through hoops to get these miles, have you examined all your options?

Have you looked at all other possible cities in Europe? You could fly into FRA/CDG/BRU/LHR and buy train tickets to get to your final destination.

Also, have you called AA to ask about using a partner airline to get home? When you look at AA.com it is only showing you the availability of award seats for AA. AA has 4 other European partners: Finnair (AY), AirBerlin (AB), British Airways (BA), and Iberia (IB). In order to see if they have seats available, you need to call AA and ask or use an online service to search for award seats. AY, AB, BA, or IB might have seats available at the 30K level that isn't showing online. Just be aware that if you book awards with BA or IB that you will face additional fees that you wouldn't see on an award ticket with AA, AY, or AB.

If that's not an option, when you do end up figure out how to get your miles, remember that the 60K Economy MileSAAver isn't the only think you can look at with your extra miles. What about first class MileSAAver seats that are 62.5K (only an addition 2500 miles from your AAnytime Economy award)? Or even a MIleSAAver business class seat for 50K? Are those available instead? No point in paying for economy when you can pay a little more for first class or LESS for a business class seat if they are available.

23. blueearth

blueearth New Member

Status Points:
    These are all good suggestions which I REALLY appreciate. Based on my conversations with AA, they have been checking other cities in Europe. I've told them that we are very flexible; also, we do have a Eurail pass to use for some of our travels. I'll keep looking though!!!

24. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    So there are no saver award seats available, so you're looking to get enough miles for an anytime award, is that right?

Remember that all awards are one-way. If saver seats (30K one way) are available on the outbound in June, and if you have the miles, then lock that one-way in now. Then work the credit card angle to get more miles for the return. You do have time. Since anytime awards (60K one way) offer last seat availability, they will only be unavailable if coach is completely sold out. That's unlikely; the Olympics may sell out some flights on peak days ex-LHR, but given your flexibility, you're certain to find something to get back from Europe, even last minute.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  25. blueearth

blueearth New Member

Status Points:
    Ok here's some more info about my dilemma. Just called AA and they said since I would be flying on BA, that I would have to spend an extra 10k miles per ticket. So now I am looking at:

70k miles per person to return = 140k.

I already spent 60k on my return tickets = 80k needed.

I have 17k in my acct so that's 63k needed

I can transfer in 25k from a relative, so now that's 38k,

And finally I can purchase the remaining 38k. But that costs almost $1200, and the transfer costs $250.

No way in heck we are spending $1500 to change our tickets to be one week later...

Help!