can anyone recommend Citibank Thank you points card over SPG AMEX

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by whenzuc, Jul 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. i was told by someone that this the Citibank Thank you points card is "THE card" to have over SPG AMEX. Any thoughts? I am die hard SPG and then use AA Master/Visa as a backup. Thoughts please from the experts. Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. Assuming that "the" card is Visa or MC, it's very different from an AmEx. Are you thinking about cancelling the SPG card if you get this one?

3. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    i would keep the SPG card. i think the trade in value for the SPG card is better than thank you points.

4. Citi ThankYou℠ Premier Card -I have been told that one gets a free companion ticket and also a 15% discount when buying tickets through Spirit Incentives. Does anyone know anything about booking this way? Can you book any airline or any flight that you want?

5. nieder2
    Original Member

nieder2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only used the companion benefit when the card was branded "Premier Pass Elite" and at that time companion benefits were unlimited vs 1 per year. I used the service twice.

Some highlights of the companion program from my experience:
    • The Spirit Incentives agents are friendly.
    • The availability seems to change pretty wildly so its best to try them for a few consecutive days if you don't get your ideal itin on the first try.
    • They seem to have greatest availability on AA flights.
    • The cost of one ticket + the "free" companion ticket usually doesn't save you much. In both of my cases it was $30-40/ticket compared to the going rates on kayak, etc
    I have had the card for a few years and do like the accrual of flight points. Note that your flight points release 1:1 with your normal spend so you do have to complete some spend on the card to get all your flight points. I've found decent value with the flight points for booking domestic tickets, especially now that the redemption is discounted 25% from the going rate you can purchase the ticket.

I don't like that the annual fee went up though and will likely use up all my TYP and cancel after this year if they won't give me a statement credit. I put all of my other spending on an SPG if I'm not working on completing spend for a bonus of another card.

6. I'm a bit confused- Can you just pick the flight that you want to go on and then just get a free companion ticket as well, or does there need to be "free ticket" availability to get these tickets?

Nieder2- Can you explain what you mean here please " In both of my cases it was $30-40/ticket compared to the going rates on kayak, etc" Thanks!

7. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I have a citi premier AMEX card... I've had it for a couple of years... Initially they gave me 5x TY points for 2 years... I called at the end of 2 years to cancel (because I didn't want to pay the $125 annual fee). They waived the annual fee & gave me 5x the points on gas, groceries, drugs & 4 x the points on all other purchases. In addition a few weeks ago I got another promotion giving me 20% more points on all purchases too. So it seems to be really easy to rack up points fast. You can redeem for airline tickets or for 14,000 points, you can get hyatt, hilton (I think) and other $100 gift cards to a hotel stay if you want to go that route....I learned this tidbit from www.thefrugaltravelguy.com. I think there is a good sign up bonus for this one right now (if you are a first time cardholder) if you go to the website I just mentioned you can find more info.

Also, I think the SPG card is a great standby card to use when you have no promo offers going on w/ your other credit cards.....

8. But how easy is it to get air tickets and the companion tickets? Can you pick the airline/flight that you want?

9. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have always been able to get the flights I want for my family. I am not a frequent traveler though if you are, I would get advice from someone else on that. As for the companion ticket, it has never been a perk of the card that I have considered. The deals always seem to be better doing it another way... That's how it's been for me anyway.

10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    It all depends on your spend. I live in New York City - and the typical bonuses of gas, groceries and drugstores doesn't do much for me. The Citi Forward Card is fantastic. 5 Thank You Points per dollar for Restaurants (fast food + full serve) and bookstores (includes Amazon). This takes up a lot of spend. I wouldn't value a TY point the same as an AA mile or an SPG point, it would be much less. Best redemptions are $100 gift cards where you can get 1 cent/point.