Can agent override computer to open award seats?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Steven Schwartz, May 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Situation - flying back from Israel First Class on award (including 2-4-1). May 30-TLV to LHR.
    May 31-LHR to JFK.

It would be very helpful if I could change to the 29th. It would require downgrading the first leg to Business Class and then taking a later flight to JFK so I could make the trip in one day. BA shows no availability - yet the airline seat maps show the cabins are wide, wide open.

So two questions - do they open closer to departure and, if so, when? And as the title states - can a human check it out and make the change if it makes sense and doesn't hurt the airline?

Thanks.

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is because many pax can't pre-allocate seats for free (before online check-in opens) and won't/don't pay the extra money to do so. So BA seat maps are a poor indicator of booking levels.
    Yes, award seats do open up, and it can happen at any time. Last night, a pair of J award seats came free on a long-haul flight on Tuesday on which my companion is already booked, so first task this morning was to book the award upgrade. If you want award seats, keep checking several times a day.

FWIW, on a quick search there are F award seats on the late TLV-LHR flight on each of 27 and 28 May; J awards seats on the late TLV-LHR on 28 May; F award seats on LHR-JFK flights on 28 May; and J award seats LHR-JFK on 29 May and 30 May.

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for taking the time to respond - and for doing the research!

4. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take it you haven't flown the outbound yet?

5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We leave a week from Sunday and return (as of now) on the 30th-31st. I chose to spend a night at the Hilton at Heathrow - two flights from TLV to LHR per day but only one had First Class and it was the later one. More than willing to do the TLV-LHR leg in Club now if it means getting home earlier.