Can a Companion Travel With A Companion?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Pizzaman, Apr 8, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've read the T&C, which state, "An individual may not travel as both a Member and a Companion on the same flight..."

I have a fried who has a Companion Pass. His wife will have one shortly as well. His question is if he designates his wife as his companion and his wife designates their daughter as a companion, can he buy a ticket and take his wife for free, and then have his wife take their daughter for free as well on the same flight.

I think the answer is no but I'm curious if anyone knows how Southwest administers.

iolaire likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotta assume no. In order to "provide" the benefit you have to be traveling as a member. In this case the wife would be the companion, not the member, so they would be able to transitively get another freebie.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I strongly suspect that's the case. But, as I told my friend, the airline industry is probably the only one I know that could have a computer system that would allow such a thing to happen.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that I know other airlines have similar bugs in their systems I have to agree with you. ;)

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I think my exact quote was, " In any other industry, this would be impossible."

Wandering Aramean likes this.